MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Default temperature

i know a butt can cook at 275 and up, but what about a chuck roast; I am doing one of each and wonder it th roast can take the heat like a butt due to its fat content
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley que
i know a butt can cook at 275 and up, but what about a chuck roast; I am doing one of each and wonder it th roast can take the heat like a butt due to its fat content
In my opinion, yes.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

A chuck roast can definitely handle 275...it's not that extreme of a temp.. Still, unless you were pressed for time, I'd think you would be pleased with dropping your temps down a bit..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

i would like to go slower but i am cooking in one of those square aussie walkabout grills and its tough to do slow and low.
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley que
i would like to go slower but i am cooking in one of those square aussie walkabout grills and its tough to do slow and low.
If you can keep the temp in the 275-300 degree range, you will be happy with the results. Just watch the internal temp, shoot for 195 or so for pullable meat, and remember that the real test of done-ness is when a probe goes in with no, or very little resistance.