How to cook pork loin on WSM?

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a 5lb pork loin that I want to smoke Saturday. How long should I cook it for?

Porkloin is a family's favorite...

Smoke low and slow with a chipotle marinade... pull off @ 140-145*... allow to rest 20 minutes before slicing.

Is that at a 250 temp? I was going to just throw it on the smoker while my spare ribs where cooking.

Hmmmm. I'm no porkloin expert, but I actually did do a big fat 5.5 porkloin this week on my Pro Q Excel (WSM clone). Smoked it hot at about 315 for four hours and pulled at 165. Was fantastic! Probably could have pulled at 160 and would have been juicier but the family loved it. I personally would never eat any pork at 145 but a lot of people do with no issues.

Sorry, the reason for the Hmmmmm is because I've never been able to do a porkloin at 225-250 in a couple hours. They are just too thick. But then again, I cook to a higher temperature than most.

Just decide what temp you want to pull it at and monitor temps regardless of what temp you decide to cook at.

I do them all the time, I "Z" cut it and unfold it and pound to a uniform thickness, stuff, truss and smoke. BBQ bandit is right, no higher than 140 it will raise in temp as it rests. Try stuffing with sauteed spinach/onion, roasted red pepper, feta cheese, you wont be disappointed.

Brine it first, cook at 300* - 325* (takes about 20 minutes a lb at that temp) until it hits 145*, sauce around 130* and reglaze every 10 or so until it's done. Let rest 15 minutes or so, slice and enjoy.

Brine it first, cook at 300* - 325* (takes about 20 minutes a lb at that temp) until it hits 145*, sauce around 130* and reglaze every 10 or so until it's done. Let rest 15 minutes or so, slice and enjoy.

I need need to try a brine or suff one, one of these days. The one I did this week I did marinade overnight with a commercial marinade but not sure how different that is than brining.

I'm by far NOT an expert, but did this one recently. Smoked with apple wood about 250-ish until 160-ish. Immediately had requests for more....

Last edited:
I cook them the same way I cook a beef tender. Hot as the WSM will go. I get a good sear and a round 105* internal I shut the vents down. Take it off at 130-135*.
let it rest to 140*. USDA says lower temps are ok with modern pork.

People are still squeamish about pink pork from the "old days", but the guidelines have been revised as Qdoc mentioned. I prefer cooking pork loin at 275 or higher. I feel that it get a better crust on the outside, but I've done them at 225 - 250 when it was more convenient. I shoot for an internal temp of 140 - 145 and then rest under a foil tent for 30 minutes. It should be 150 - 155 after the rest and that keeps it moist, but the center isn't pink for those who worry about that.

I cook mine at higher temp also, around 300-310.. If I cook at a temp between 225-235 the loin seems to get a rubbery texture to it. Higher temp puts a nice sear on it.

I also cook mine at around 300, and take it to 140, pull and rest for half hour or so.

Another thing to watch out for with pork is the salt content of your rub/marinade. I've found if I use a salty marinade and let the loin sit for any length of time, the meat will develop a hammy flavor, which is not appealing for a pork loin. To avoid this, I only dry rub my loins right before tossing on the smoker. No marinades, unless I made one myself with no sodium.

Also avoid loins from places like walmart that are "enhanced" with solution, they're probably gonna taste hammy as well.

Well last night I covered it with mustard and SM Sweet & Spicy rub. It's in the fridge and I'll be smoking it Saturday. We will see how it turns out. I appreciate all of the ideas and suggestions. I am going to smoke it with spare ribs so I will be cooking it at the 225-250 temp this time. Next time I will try cooking it around 300+. Thanks again for the tips!!

Back