First Brisket

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Trimmed as best i could rubbed with meadow creek black pepper brisket rub going to run on smoke mode for about 3 hours then bump it up to 250.

Have fun Remember when you hit about 140 you will hit a stall and it takes a while to get to 150 Be patient I am doing 2 corned flats of pastrami It took about 6 hrs to get to about 154

Thanks i probably butchered it like no other trimming it took as much hard fat as i could off. i hope i didnt ruin a nice looking prime brisket.

I doubt you ruined the brisket. Just be patient and let it cook out.

Have fun and post pics!

Can i go without wrapping or should i wrap?

I wrap on color. If it looks right, I wrap and let it cook to finish.

Deep breaths, Stan. As hard as some folks make brisket out to cook right, it's not. The trick to brisket is a big dose of patience.

Wrap when the color looks good to you, and pull when it's probe tender all around.

Is this a packer or a flat?

I wrap on color. If it looks right, I wrap and let it cook to finish.

Deep breaths, Stan. As hard as some folks make brisket out to cook right, it's not. The trick to brisket is a big dose of patience.

Wrap when the color looks good to you, and pull when it's probe tender all around.

Is this a packer or a flat?

Packer

You'll be fine! We're own our worst critics. The best part about brisket is that for the ones I didn't think were very good, I've put into chili that have won me several chili cookoffs. :D

Don't want to overwhelm you, but if you plan on burnt ends, cut the point off when the flat probes tender. Hold the flat in foil / towel / cooler to keep warm and rest.

You can cube the point, put some rub / sauce on the cube pieces, pan them, and put them back on the cooker to finish. It's candy. :-D

Just hit the stall 166 at the highest temp when probed. Wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil with some spritz i made and some beef broth

It may be a little overdone for judges, but I promise that anyone on here would love to have a piece of that. Very nice, especially for your first. I remember being anxious cooking my first brisket, but it gets easier from there.

Nice! Here's to many more.

I remember my first brisket. I hovered over it and wouldn't let that temp creep over 225. I think I had another birthday waiting for that to get done. A buddy told me that people overthink it and don't be afraid to use higher temps. Still each one is different--and that's a good thing.

Back