Meatloaf what's too big?

akoda

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have 4#'s prime brisket trimmings that I am going to grind, 2#'s sausage to add plus my other goodies.

I can do a 6# meatloaf or two 3# ones. 6 pounder would get some bacon on top

How big is too big, anyone done a great big one? It will go on my performer over some pecan and cherry, probably during the snow [emoji16]

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

I'd do two 3# ones. More surface to absorb smoke, and I think there would be problems with breakage even then. Think, what would the slices look like from a 6# meat loaf? And by the time the center cooked, the outer layers might dry out.
No matter how much I mix up, I never make loafs that are wider than a slice of bread. I usually use bread pans as molds, then cook outside of the pans for exposure to the smoke. Makes the slices just right.
Oh, and use a drip pan if you cook outside of a pan, saves on cleanup.

I would say it's too big if you can't fit it in your smoker. I agree with the other folks, two smaller ones will be much easier to manage.

I agree on doing 2 You can also cook one of them and freeze the other to cook another day Gives you 2 days to cook

I vote for 2 smaller ones. That said, I did 2 10 pounders once. They turned out great.

Figured I'd do two since I can do different recipes too. I ground it up tonight, I'll smoke then tomorrow.

I used my kitchen aid with the attachment, works good enough for this.
1004f27e5dd0be9b496ad85a09b21b51.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve never smoked a meat loaf larger than 3#. And that’s only with 2# of meat as a starter.

Assembled, one with sauteed onions, peppers and mushrooms. One with raw onions and peppers. Homemade bacon on top.

I like to let them rest in the fridge for an hour or two before I cook
7f99c918a597cb00dca20616cd0b488b.jpg
bd4263dada2e32f1732a43a05df46c0c.jpg
95ffafc0077b968d20c77725af35779e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yum. I just made a 5 pounder a couple weeks ago for my family gathering. Beef, veal, pork and lamb, completely wrapped in bacon. It was great, and teh biggest one I ever made. I think any bigger would be unwieldy.

You could have made it 6# but as dadr4 said as wide as a slice of bread. Have seen on cook shows where they do about a 10# but narrow,not too high and long on a bake sheet.Just my 2 pennies worth. DouG

Hmmmm, not really sure how big is too big, but like others my fav part of meatloaf is the crust, so the more crust the better. But would be cool to see a pic of a 6 lb meatloaf!

Back