MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #16
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
If just for home, I don’t inject as see no need. Always do for comps but it’s a different desired outcome.
I inject for home use, I think the phosphates help with moisture when reheating.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #17
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Try against the grain
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #18
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

As for hiding them...try a nylon brush and some au jus/beef broth; paint the slices with the liquid.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #19
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott

Lots of good tips on here already. Check what gauge needle your are using. Try a step down/smaller needle.

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #20
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

try following the kosmos instructions but using water. Also if you can inject and let it sit for 12 or so hours.
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #21
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

The 2 things I would suggest looking at:

Does the "beef broth" you are using have caramel color added in the ingredients? That can cause staining.
If not, another that can cause it is the PH level of your injection being very different than the PH of your brisket. Use a quality bottled water if you aren't already.

Personally, I've injected both with and against the grain over the years and haven't noticed one leaving marks more than the other. Currently I go both directions.

Minor stains are usually easily covered up or hidden with a nice brushing of your foil drippings.