pig candy?

hdis2002

Knows what a fatty is.
I've seen pictures of pig candy but no "how to". I'm guessing thick cut bacon sprinkled with brown sugar. Do you grill it or smoke it?

Steve

Yep... Thick cut bacon coated with brown sugar. A lot of us add some cayenne for a little heat, too. Smoke it until the sugar melts and forms a glaze and the bacon is done.

MMMMMMM pig candy.
Consider yourself warned...once you make some and share it with friends-you'll never be able to get away without making it for the crowds again.
Good stuff, I make it in 3 pound batches now!

Yeppers, the others got it right brown sugar and a bit of cayenne... good snackin stuff fer sure...

James.

Tried something new.... did it with spam. Yes SPAM!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I sliced it and quartered the slices, smoked it and then coated it with a brown sugar, maply syrup, cayenne pepper sauce and served it at a party... 12 people ate roughly 48 pieces before I told them what it was...

The common response was "That was SPAM!?!?!?:eek: Damn that was great!!! Can I cook it without a smoker?" (my response was "No".)

Steve, definately us thick cut bacon. Put on the smoker naked for about 30 minutes to start the bacon cookin. Flip and then add the brown sugar, with a pinch of hot pepper, and smoke until bacon will be crisp when drained on paper towels. Just my experience, if I don't pre-cook the bacon before the brown sugar mix, the bacon will way over cook and maybe burn. Hope this help bro.!

Here ya go!!!
http://www.kickassbbq.com/pig_candy.htm
pigcandy5.JPG

Making some today at the BBQ class. I carry some around in my back pocket ALL the time. Sometimes I don't even put it in a plastic bag. Gets kinda sticky, but who cares.
PARTY!!!!!!!

Here ya go!!!
http://www.kickassbbq.com/pig_candy.htm
pigcandy5.JPG

Making some today at the BBQ class. I carry some around in my back pocket ALL the time. Sometimes I don't even put it in a plastic bag. Gets kinda sticky, but who cares.
PARTY!!!!!!!

Remind's me, how's your buddy doing after his "gotta have some of Kickassbbq"s Pig Candy" doing??? Still hurts just thinking about those pics.:eusa_clap

I made little pig candy nuggets today using some air dried chinese bacon. HAd those to start then some home-made Kung Pao chicken, made with little Tabasco peppers. Wow!

Last edited by a moderator:
It all looks good I have never tried it wonder if you could use slice jowel meat

No reason you couldn't. For the chinese bacon, I cut it into thick cubes and tossed with a cup of light brown sugar and a bit of cayenne. I'd do the same with little guanciale bites.

Back