MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
rebelleader
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beentown View Post
Your call just passing on my experience. I am in North Central Ohio. Similar temps. I use mine all winter for LARGE cooks. The difference for us (insulated vs non-insulated) was 5 sticks for the whole cook.

The safety factor/paint retention I can't speak on. I do know this...You can still be burnt on the outside of an insulated firebox. Never checked how much temp difference we had on the outside though. It was too hot to touch though.

Have fun in choosing. They are GREAT cookers.

I also vote trailer if you do have ways to move it around the homestead (mower, atv, etc...)
Thanks for the info.

Decisions decisions
rebelleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #17
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

You can bump the insulated fb...you don't want to touch it or grab it though. I'm another that just likes how it looks. I've temped it before but I can't remember how hot it was. I'm doing a cook tomorrow so I'll try to remember to temp it again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #18
rebelleader
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
You can bump the insulated fb...you don't want to touch it or grab it though. I'm another that just likes how it looks. I've temped it before but I can't remember how hot it was. I'm doing a cook tomorrow so I'll try to remember to temp it again.

Thanks. I'm really curious of the actual temp compared to the inside wall of the firebox.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #19
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Youre going to have to lay down plywood sheets or something in the grass. No way youre pulling 1600 pounds of steel across grass by hand with golf cart wheels.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #20
WeberWho
Full Fledged Farker

I bought my 24x65 Shirley 2nd hand. So I had no control with any options. My Patio Model came with wagon wheels. I move my smoker in and out of the garage without too much of an issue. I wouldn't want to roll it around in the yard or any type of a incline. Level pavement is ideal with this beast.

WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #21
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Another option is to get it configured like Jedís....(charred Aprons).... itís the only one weíve done but itís easy to move...it has a receiver upfront and one of our heavy built Dollyís.... the 12 inch chromes roll better and are actuall less expensive..... Iíll. Try and find pics and a video.....

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #22
rebelleader
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
Another option is to get it configured like Jedís....(charred Aprons).... itís the only one weíve done but itís easy to move...it has a receiver upfront and one of our heavy built Dollyís.... the 12 inch chromes roll better and are actuall less expensive..... Iíll. Try and find pics and a video.....
Thank you very much. That would be helpful.

I'll go digging to try and find that as well. I think I remember seeing pics somewhere.

Thank you for taking the time to respond here. I appreciate it.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #23
OEF5
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
LOL I was typing a response for him that mentioned this exact thing TQ.

I think this is the best of both worlds for the patio modle, if you get removable like I was going to do, you can pull it with a tractor of 4 wheeler anywhere you want and make final adjustments with the handle or get the dolly that they make.

[URL="https://m.facebook.com/groups/458082244542914"]Jakesville Farm[/URL]
OEF5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #24
rebelleader
Got Wood.

So I found the post I had previously seen with the option that TQ just mentioned:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...&postcount=166

I'm not sure what I think about it yet. A video of it in action would help me decide.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #25
pjtexas1

Cook chamber at 250:
Outside bottom of fb wall - 170
Outside top of fb wall - 280
Inside fb wall - 600

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #26
rebelleader
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Cook chamber at 250:
Outside bottom of fb wall - 170
Outside top of fb wall - 280
Inside fb wall - 600

Thanks for this info. Good to know.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #27
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

I would second Beentown on the insulated firebox option. My horizontal offset had no insulation but I found little difference smoking in cold rain, sleet, or snow in terms of maintaining temp or wood usage. So long as the smoker is made with properly thick steel, which obviously will be the case with yours, it should work fine in Chicago weather. And when my kids were little they learned to avoid the firebox pretty quickly.

Can't speak for the effect on the paint or the looks -- I certainly understand if you think it just looks better, it might be hard to get your mind around dropping it.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #28
pjtexas1

Measured the uninsulated firebox today at the bash. It was 480+ when the cook chamber was at 250.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #29
2stroke250
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a 24/42 with warming cabinet smallest shirley made. I had Tyler add a removable trailer receptacle. I move it around by hand on pavement any snow or ice you are not moving it by yourself way to heavy I'm 6.0 210lbs on grass not a chance I use atv to move around property most time

Thanks Scott
2stroke250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #30
rebelleader
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke250 View Post
I have a 24/42 with warming cabinet smallest shirley made. I had Tyler add a removable trailer receptacle. I move it around by hand on pavement any snow or ice you are not moving it by yourself way to heavy I'm 6.0 210lbs on grass not a chance I use atv to move around property most time

Thanks Scott
So standard patio model with trailer hitch?

Tags
Shirley fabrication, Wagon Wheels