Question for Shirley Fab Owners: Wagon Wheels worth it?

rebelleader

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I'm currently working with Tyler to get my Rig quoted out and was curious if I should drop the wagon wheels or keep them on. Im planning on ordering a 24x50 cabinet straight back with insulated box and warmer.

I would be rolling this rig in and out of the garage onto concrete and probably over some grass as well.

All the options quickly add up and there is a budget number I am trying to get in under and crossing the wagon wheels off the list would help a bunch.

Aesthetically I think the larger wheels at all 4 corners looks better than the 2 pneumatic in the front.

Any current owners care to chime in?

I have golf cart wheels on mine, and it's hard enough rolling on concrete....I couldn't even imagine trying to maneuver it through grass, possibly up/down a slight incline....1600lb doesn't move easily. Sure you don't want a trailer model? I'm going to be taking mine back to Shirley at some point and have it swapped onto a trailer for mobility's sake.

Last edited:
I would put it on a trailer - not that much more and makes it easier to pick up and move when home.

trailer is the best option but if you get the wagon wheels go with the 12" instead of the low 10" low profile like I had , the 10" loos way cool but 12" skinner ones roll much better .

How is moving the trailer easier than a wagon wheel model?

Genuinely curious

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

trailer is the best option but if you get the wagon wheels go with the 12" instead of the low 10" low profile like I had , the 10" loos way cool but 12" skinner ones roll much better .
Yeah I would go with the regular and not the 'nicer' looking golf cart wheels.

I have been debating the same thing. I would love to get a trailer but it would not fit into my shed or even getting it into my backyard without opening up the fence. Seriously considering putting a garage door on the back of my garage to gain access that way.

Paul has said on a couple vids the 12" is the best way to go especially if moving on grass.

I don't think I'm looking for a trailer at this time. I don't want to spend the money on that.

I'd drop the insulated and get the larger wheels.

I have cooked on both and the difference on wood use is minimal. Now how much it helps retain paint I am not sure. But for me that's the route I'd take, for sure.

I'd drop the insulated and get the larger wheels.

I have cooked on both and the difference on wood use is minimal. Now how much it helps retain paint I am not sure. But for me that's the route I'd take, for sure.
I don't think I can be convinced to drop the insulated box.

I want it for the safety factor(2 little kids) as well as for the fact that I live in the Chicago area and want to have the best performance possible during the colder months.

Plus I think the units with insulated boxes look a little better than the ones without. Just a personal preference thing.

How is moving the trailer easier than a wagon wheel model?

Genuinely curious

you can hook it to a mower or 4 wheeler for one thing and I had a 24 X 60 golf cart and it was a heavy beast and that is why I sold it but a 24 X 50 golf cart with Paul's 12" will move a lot better and you will be very happy either way .

you can hook it to a mower or 4 wheeler for one thing

This works great!! :mrgreen:

2017-09-05_003.jpg

I don't think I can be convinced to drop the insulated box.

I want it for the safety factor(2 little kids) as well as for the fact that I live in the Chicago area and want to have the best performance possible during the colder months.

Plus I think the units with insulated boxes look a little better than the ones without. Just a personal preference thing.
Your call just passing on my experience. I am in North Central Ohio. Similar temps. I use mine all winter for LARGE cooks. The difference for us (insulated vs non-insulated) was 5 sticks for the whole cook.

The safety factor/paint retention I can't speak on. I do know this...You can still be burnt on the outside of an insulated firebox. Never checked how much temp difference we had on the outside though. It was too hot to touch though.

Have fun in choosing. They are GREAT cookers.

I also vote trailer if you do have ways to move it around the homestead (mower, atv, etc...)

Your call just passing on my experience. I am in North Central Ohio. Similar temps. I use mine all winter for LARGE cooks. The difference for us (insulated vs non-insulated) was 5 sticks for the whole cook.

The safety factor/paint retention I can't speak on. I do know this...You can still be burnt on the outside of an insulated firebox. Never checked how much temp difference we had on the outside though. It was too hot to touch though.

Have fun in choosing. They are GREAT cookers.

I also vote trailer if you do have ways to move it around the homestead (mower, atv, etc...)
Thanks for the info.

Decisions decisions

You can bump the insulated fb...you don't want to touch it or grab it though. I'm another that just likes how it looks. I've temped it before but I can't remember how hot it was. I'm doing a cook tomorrow so I'll try to remember to temp it again.

You can bump the insulated fb...you don't want to touch it or grab it though. I'm another that just likes how it looks. I've temped it before but I can't remember how hot it was. I'm doing a cook tomorrow so I'll try to remember to temp it again.

Thanks. I'm really curious of the actual temp compared to the inside wall of the firebox.

Thanks

Youre going to have to lay down plywood sheets or something in the grass. No way youre pulling 1600 pounds of steel across grass by hand with golf cart wheels.

I bought my 24x65 Shirley 2nd hand. So I had no control with any options. My Patio Model came with wagon wheels. I move my smoker in and out of the garage without too much of an issue. I wouldn't want to roll it around in the yard or any type of a incline. Level pavement is ideal with this beast.

Back