Cooking with Dr. Pepper or Coke

Smoke Daddy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Saw an episode of BBQ Pitmasters recently, on which, a respected contestant put Coke in foil with his brisket. Do people really smoke with soda? What's the effect on taste? What about for ribs? :?: :?:

I do at times, LOL. I used to do it a lot.

Best carnitas I ever had was pork braised in Dr. Pepper. I did a big rib smoke for my work 10-12 years ago. At the time I was wrapping my ribs doing the 3-2-1 (ish) method. In the middle stage I got lazy and just put the racks into giant sheet pans. Poured in some Sprite (I wanted Coke but was out), covered and let them go. Pulled later, put them back into the smoker to firm up. They all said they were the best ribs they ever had. I was their boss so they could have just been blowing smoke up my butt.

I have no problem experimenting. I just watch the heat when using sugar. No diet soda though. Leaded all the way.

Interested to see if anyone else has done this.

Yaker

I have done Dr. Pepper baby back ribs before in a 3 hour unwrapped - 45 minutes wrapped with Dr. Pepper and then 30-45 minutes unwrapped to firm up and they were pretty good. I have also heard of Coke in meatballs, but have never tried it.

My Grandmothers used to cook hams with a Dr Pepper glaze, it's popular in Texas because Dr Pepper is one of the 'Made in Texas' products, like Fritos or Ranch Style Beans.

My favorite pork shoulder injection is 60% smoked pork broth and 40% CocaCola. I prefer the Mexican Coke as it's still made with cane sugar.

The best london broil I ever had was marinated in beer and coke.

One of my go to dishes is braised short ribs in coke with a splash of Marsala wine. It makes a fantastic sauce.

Another vote for root beer, a crowd pleaser on pork ribs.
I haven't cooked wrapped ribs in a while, I'll have to find an excuse to do some!

Yes. Often. We use cane sugar Mexican Colas or the pure cane sugar Dr Pepper.
I smoke in a pan at 275* to an IT of about 165*. Add Pure Sugar Soda And a small can of Chipotle in Adobo or Chipotle Salsa. Let go about an hour then seal tight to finish.

We only use pure sugar colas. You can buy a mixed case of Mexican cola at Sam’s or per bottle in Mexican aisle. Pure cane sugar Dr Pepper can be found on regular cola aisle

Yes. Often. We use cane sugar Mexican Colas or the pure cane sugar Dr Pepper.
I smoke in a pan at 275* to an IT of about 165*. Add Pure Sugar Soda And a small can of Chipotle in Adobo or Chipotle Salsa. Let go about an hour then seal tight to finish.

We only use pure sugar colas. You can buy a mixed case of Mexican cola at Sam’s or per bottle in Mexican aisle. Pure cane sugar Dr Pepper can be found on regular cola aisle

You're talking about Dublin Dr Pepper right? They make a number of other soft drinks too.

This is what’s available now in the regular soda aisle in my neighborhood. Sam’s carries case of Mexican Sodas with real can sugar as well. Wikipedia “Dublin Dr Pepper” for th lawsuits on Dublin Dr Pepper.

Last edited:
Dang, that's something for a bottler after 127 years. The family ranch was south of San Antonio and the only flour my paternal Grandmother bought was Pioneer Mills brand and I grew up eating Ranch Style Beans, which aren't made in Ft Worth anymore.

I use coke all time with ChuckieS

Smokeyribs YouTube channel has method I imitate

I've also seen Pepsi used as marinade for buffalo chicken, I intend try

My guess is sugar and acid are driving factors in the effect

Yes, been cooking with soda for years. Often with turkey or beef but will experiment with anything. Usually prefer Mt Dew or 7up. but really like Vernors Ginger Ale for some things.

Coke, brown sugar, pineapple blended till liquid makes a great basting sauce for hams. Dr. Pepper or root beer would probably be even better.

Back