Flour Tortillas

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I’ve made plenty of corn tortillas before but this is my first attempt at flour tortillas. Here are the ingredients.

1 3/4 cups of AP flour
1/4 cup of butter flavor Crisco. (You can regular Crisco, lard, bacon fat or even oil)
1/4 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. of baking powder
1/4 cup of hot water (approx. 105 degrees)

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the shorting.

Mix that in with one of these pastry blender things

until it is completely incorporated.

Now add the hot water and stir it in with a fork.

Now scoop out onto a floured mat and knead it for approximately 3 minutes and then set aside to rest for 15 to 20 minutes covered with a damp towel.

Once it has rested, place on your mat.

Cut it in half, then each half in half and then each quarter in half.

Roll each 1/8th into a ball and cover with a damp towel until you need them. I then covered my tortilla press with plastic wrap and placed a ball onto the back third of the press and pressed it down with my fingers to make a disk.

Now flatten it with the press, pressing down firmly on the handle. (But not with any extreme force or you can break the handle. Don’t ask me how I know this. :mmph:)

Take it from the press and place it on a hot griddle for approx. 1 minute. (it may start to bubble)

Now flip it and wait another minute.

I placed all 8 into a tortilla warmer and proceeded with the rest of my meal. :becky:

Thanks for looking.

My preference of tortillas is flour. I am going to have to make my own one day. Thanks for the recipe.

Bookmarked! I'd love to see the corn tortilla recipe. I've yet to make them myself.

We made corn tortilla the other night for the first time.
I need to make flour ones, the corn seemed a bit mouthy gritty to me,
Tasted great but?

Those look great. I've always made mine out of this book.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Grilled-Pizzas-Piadinas-Craig-Priebe/dp/0756636795"]Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas: Craig Priebe, DK: 9780756636791: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51emAOersxL.@@AMEPARAM@@51emAOersxL[/ame]
It's more Italian based obviously, but a piadina shell is basically a flour Tortilla. I make larger ones to make chicken Cesar wraps. Different than store bought, and much fresher tasting. They turn out great every time, and the grilled pizza dough is fantastic as well.

Back