Breakfast Chile Relleno Pie with Bacon Crust

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
With the flood damage to my house, I haven’t had a lot of time to cook recently (dealing with Insurance and reconstruction) but I finally got one in. I started looking at what I had on hand as I wanted to use up items I already had. So what did I have lots of? Homemade Bacon and Roasted Hatch Chiles. Hmmmm! I looked further and I also had some eggs, cheese and some Bisquick. I thought about that for a while and came up with this.
Here are most of the ingredients:

Recipe Ingredients:
Bacon – enough to make up a crust (I use 1 package plus some more)
Green chiles - roasted, skinned, sliced and enough to make up 2 layers plus top design
1 Potato – thinly sliced and enough to make up 2 layers.
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups cheese - grated. I used the Costco 4 cheese Mexican blend. (or sharp cheddar cheese + Monterey Jack cheese) Plus some for the top
1/2 medium onion - slivered
¾ cup Bisquick or AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder (If not using Bisquick)
1 cups milk
½ cup sour cream (plus some for garnish if desired)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup guacamole or 1 avocado sliced (for garnish if desired)
1 cup salsa (for garnish if desired)
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish if desired)

First off, the bacon crust. I’ve seen this done before on the internet and by Al / Mongo in his Lobster Mac n Cheese Pie entry a few years ago. It still took a while to figure out how I was going to make it come out right. What I’ve seen is doing a bacon weave wrapped over the outside of a pie pan. (Thanks Al) This way the bacon grease can drain away as the bacon cooks.

I then add another layer to try and reduce any gaps that might form.

Put another pie pan over it to try and reduce shrinkage :shocked: and hold its shape.

I put this on the kamado at 300 degrees. As it would be cooked some more I didn’t want the crust completely crispy so after about 30 minutes, the crust was pretty much done for now.

After this had a chance to cool I set it aside while I prepared the pie filling.

1st I sliced the chiles and potatoes. I then beat the eggs, added the salt, Bisquick, milk and sour cream and beat again.

Pulled out the crust and added a layer of potatoes,

onions, Hatch chiles,

half the liquid mixture.

and cheese.

Repeated that process again and then spread out the Hatch chile garnish.

I had already set my kamado up for indirect cooking and it cruising along at 325. I put my pie in and set my timer for 50 minutes to do my first check.

After it’s done the center will no longer jiggle and you can poke in a knife or tooth pick and it will come out mostly clean. (Mine took 60 minutes) Remove for the heat and let cool 5 minutes before serving.

Here is the results.

Here are some plated shots. (Next day A.M. for breakfast)

And here is my Money Shot.

It was delicious! :becky:

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with some crappy luck but Holy mackerel that looks farking unreal. If that is for some sort of throw down, it wins! Bam, drop the mic, exit stage left! Save me a piece.:clap2:

I think we need to make a throw down for that just so it does win!!
That looks absofarkinlutely AWESOME. .

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with some crappy luck but Holy mackerel that looks farking unreal. If that is for some sort of throw down, it wins! Bam, drop the mic, exit stage left! Save me a piece.:clap2:
Thank you Q Junkie.

I'll admit that it is but it's on a different site so it doesn't matter. Having said that, I must admit that it was very "Comforting" to eat some this morning. :becky:

I think we need to make a throw down for that just so it does win!!
That looks absofarkinlutely AWESOME. .
Thank you liv4jpn. Could you please suggest your brilliant idea to Moose for me? :laugh:

Last edited:
I like how it matches the table cloth. :-D. Looks so delicious and filling. I'd kill a few slices of that for sure.

:thumb:If that is wrong I don't want to be right, I'll have a slice for each hand:biggrin1:

Back