MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
bbq_tom
Got Wood.

Restaurant supply stores/warehouses are great places to get cutting boards, utensils and baking sheets at great prices and good quality.

I would go with thick plastic for raw meats as wood is too porous and will cross-contaminate. I only use wood to chop veggies and cooked meats.
[/B][FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]Death to Unitaskers!. -Alton Brown[/B]

[/FONT][B] # Custom Pit #
6ft x 20 inch with side mounted firebox
------------------------------------------------------------------

[/B]
bbq_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #17
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner.

I have a couple of bamboo boards for my home kitchen that look great, but I'm starting to prefer the cheap plastic boards that I use for competition. I just toss them in the dishwasher. I know they get sanitized that way and its just plain easier.
I'm of the same agreement. I have a huge 24x30 that is a pain. But I have smaller one that fits in the dishwasher, that's the one I use.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #18
Lazy Dawg
On the road to being a farker

Large plastic. The nice wood one I had was to tough to clean.

Lazy Dawg BBQ Team

2 Offset Tin cans
1 Weber smokey Joe

When my day comes to meet my maker.... I hope to have spent a few days in paradise before the devil knows I'm there 8)
Lazy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #19
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I have three plastic ones of different sizes. The one I use the most has little cup feet on the bottom. The feet do a great job of keeping the board from slipping.

I bought a really big one a few months ago at Academy Sports. It was really cheap and I love it for doing prep on spares.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #20
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAsQue View Post
What Sled said.

I get mine at One-Way Restaurant Supply, which you don't need to be a member of. Take Sunrise to the Waverly Ave north, One Way is on the left maybe a half mile up. Number 400-something.
Have to check that place out, here is another place http://www.barboyonline.com/barboy_index/PG34.htm
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
MilitantSquatter

If you want to buy in bulk, don't go retail... just call plastics distributor/service center.

Or if you just want a few smaller cuts, call or order online from an industrial supply co. like mine (MSC) or my competitor McMaster Carr and get for HDPE (Hi density polyethelene) in the raw materials section. It's the exact same material just would not have the little groove around the end that's usually to shallow to catch juices anyway.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #22
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
If you want to buy in bulk, don't go retail... just call plastics distributor/service center and ask for HDPE (Hi density polyethelene). They can cut to size. It's the exact same material just would not have the little groove around the end that's usually to shallow to catch juices anyway.
i dont care about the groove boy sharp edges is another story. I wonder if i could router them.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #23
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

I have found the perfect cutting board situation...in my opininon. I found a cutting board that has four remoavable feet in the corners. About 1/2 inch thickish, and it fits very nicely into a 1/4 sheet pan. This combination creates an area where all juices flow off the board and into the sheet pan. Can also be foun din sizes to fit a half sheet pan. Very effective i my book. Will try to find the board for you all. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #24
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
i dont care about the groove boy sharp edges is another story. I wonder if i could router them.

Definitely can... A lot of our customers who buy the plastics use it for prototype work. I've seen them machined to just about anything including the smallest of components for car parts.

I'd have to actually compare prices to see if buying through industrial supply is better than restaurant supply. The good part is that you can get them custom cut to size and thickness and not just get the one size at the store.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #25
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyz View Post
I hate to admit this pamperd chef there the best and i also mill mine down after a while you can get a machine shop to do it for about 20 bucks thay have a small one perfict for cutting 1 onion or things like that
I have to agree. SIL got me the 9X13 size and I can say that its that best one I have ever had. The silicone on the two edges keeps it from sliding all over the place and the little measurement marks come in handy too.

Got the bigger one on my X-mas list for the SIL!!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote