• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reheating?

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What is your best way to reheat ribs. I farked up some damn good spare ribs last night on the reheat. Took the ribs I smoked on Saturday over to my parents for dinner yesterday. Brought them over in a pan with sauce covered tightly with foil. Told my mother to just pop them in the oven at 200* at 5:00 and we would be over arount six to eat. Usually I will poke a couple of holes in the foil but I forgot to this time. Mom didn't think one hour would be long enough so she put them in at 4:00 instead. When I took them out of the oven and lifted off the foil, steam came rolling out of the pan. The smoke flavor had practically been steamed out of the ribs, the bark was gone, and the texture was like rubber, FARK! I'll never do that again. Luckily I still have another rack left from that smoke in the fridge.

Not sure Neil, but I foodsavered a half rack this weekend so I could freeze and test it this week. I think I will "boil in the bag" 'em today and test the experiment.

Neil,

I hear ya brother. When I heat up ribs at home the very same way you did the smoke flavor definitely seems to go bye bye's. When I do catered events and in the position to reheat ribs I will wrap them for an hour or two. If I have a large amount of ribs I still covered them in a disposable pan for an hour or two.

To get that crispy smokey taste back I toss them on the grill with hardwood coals or back into the smoker for 45 mins or so depending on heat.

I just reheated some babybacks over the weekend and it worked great. I had foodsavered the things and frozen them. I let 'em unthaw in a 5-day cooler for a couple days with a NuTemp in there so I didn't lose 'em. Then I wrapped each one in foil just like I was in the middle of the 2-2-1: spritzed 'em with apple juice, closed 'em up and put in the oven at 350* for about 20 minutes. Sampled one rib (ok, 1/2 a rack :D) to test if they were hot enough and then dropped the temp to 200* to hold them for another 45 minutes. Farking awesome. Just like they came fresh from the cooler after smoking them.

Yep, FoodSaver, freeze and boil in the bag to reheat. I've had ribs, pulled pork and brisket this way. Always turns out great!

i take a lesson from the chinese restaurants. they heat their ribs in a salamander and baste as the ribs heat up. i have good results heating ribs at 350-400 on a cooling rack placed on a cookie sheet(both preheated) on the top rack of the oven. works for pulled pork too(no cooling rack) but only from the cold and not frozen state.
phil

I use the micro to nuke them. Never had a problem. Fast and easy. Do it almost every day.

I just nuked some myself. Just make sure you save some of the juice from the foil and put that on top of them. Keeps them nice and moist.

Now who has bark on their ribs?

Back