MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
ReverendJacks
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Scott
Default Injecting the Brisket

The last brisket I did I injected it with beef broth after reading on the Amazing Ribs website that injecting with beef broth, brine, or specially formulated injection helps combat dehydration, and the salt enhances flavor.

My brisket turned out really good. Any thoughts on this?

Old 05-19-2019, 03:08 AM   #2
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

To each their own. I have tried different injections so I have have an opinion. I tried two different beef broths and they left injection marks. Tried Kosmos injections and they seem to result in the brisket retaining good moisture but also give it an odd unatural flavor.

I decided injections are not for me. Ill just buy quality briskets instead and focus on cooking better.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

You still have to cook it right or no matter of phosphates or liquid will help. When I inject at home I like the added flavor I get since brisket can be a little bland for beef.

I don't use beef broth as there isn't enough flavor, but rather a beef base like minors or better than bouillon. I normally go double the concentration they call for. Also adding hoisin to injections is amazing as is sriracha and even ground up rub.

Some folks like injecting and some dont, just gotta figure out what flavors you like.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I always inject now and not so much for any kind of "moisture assurance" but because you get more au jus during the cook. I smoke "naked" on the smoker until I hit the stall, and then I wrap in a pan to retain all that lovely juice as it pushes out of the meat. When I don't inject the amount of au jus is much less than when I do. If I were just doing a brisket for eating at home I probably wouldn't inject, but since I'm doing a daily lunch service that extra au jus helps to keep the brisket moist during service.

As someone else stated I stay away from the phosphates...they certainly work at retaining moisture but they add a flavor which just isn't appealing to me. I've tried Butchers, Kosmos, and Big Poppa Smokers, and they all leave a noticeable flavor...not terrible, but it's noticeable enough and it's now how I want my brisket to taste.

I usually inject with with beef base (thinned out with hot water) and some Worcestershire sauce. Someone mentioned hoisin sauce and that would be a good additive as well. I have also used Marmite (HATE THE STUFF) but it works well in a beef injection.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
You still have to cook it right or no matter of phosphates or liquid will help. When I inject at home I like the added flavor I get since brisket can be a little bland for beef.

I don't use beef broth as there isn't enough flavor, but rather a beef base like minors or better than bouillon. I normally go double the concentration they call for. Also adding hoisin to injections is amazing as is sriracha and even ground up rub.

Some folks like injecting and some dont, just gotta figure out what flavors you like.
X2 on Minors beef base/au jus

Old 05-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Smoking Piney
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I don't use beef broth as there isn't enough flavor, but rather a beef base like minors or better than bouillon. I normally go double the concentration they call for.
Exactly what I do.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I came to post to this thread, but after reading JasonTQ response I got nothing else to add. :)
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

When I inject, I also use a beef base.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

If that's what you like then do it.

I personally thought the couple of times I did inject was a ton of extra work for very little payoff because I prefer the way I cook them now, which is just sprinkled with my rub and smoked for 7-8 hrs then wrapped until done.

I reserve some of the drippings if not planning to eat it right away, which I normally don't when cooking for a party. After slicing I put into pans with some drippings to keep it moist for reheating at the event because I don't want t be cooking all day when I could be enjoying time with my family.

But that's just my process. Do whatever works for you and your crowd likes.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

In inject with a mixture of beef broth, with a dash of garlic and onion juice. Has worked well for me.

Tags
brisket, injecting