OMG!!!! Shagdog has cooked us one heck of a meal

after all the crap lately this thread is just awesome.:thumb: Restores faith in this place as well as people in general. anyone who has ever met the Shirleys is probably not surprised one bit by them giving a cooker to a veteran. It's not even the 1st time they have donated cookers to well deserving people. just makes me that much prouder to own a Shirley. then you throw in these guys cooking some amazing food, cute kids, family, friends and it just gets better and better.

I will put up some better pictures tomorrow for you with the griddle installed. Paul did a fantastic job on this cooker. The quality is off the charts!!!
It's no surprise, and really, Paul works at a nuclear power plant, don't we all want a guy with great attention to detail running projects at the local nuclear power plant? I know I do. :thumb:...and...:becky:

First off, as always, it was a great time at Shaggy's. Matt and Tina are great cooks, great hosts and great people.

It was really awesome to meet Paul and Sharon. They are wonderful. The kind of folks that you meet once and are like family. The smoker that they brought up for Chris is really incredible. I know he'll put it to good use!

Chorizo and dates in bacon, for the win!

New to me........<makes mental note to research this one>

Thanks, they turned out well. They are pretty easy and most of the details are below.

Pick up some dates. I have never seen dates that weren't already pitted.

F9376BE2-9F8D-4C99-8EB2-8778BB63E498_zpsf6k5sydy.jpg

Pre-cook chorizo since there's quite a bit of fat in it. I tried to just parcook it so that it retained some shape.

789E2517-5048-49CC-A1D0-A8DB6E08E597_zpsfq2pjvvf.jpg

Then split the date. It should already have a cut in it, so try and find that and put a chunk of chorizo in it.

91A8B2C6-A56B-4C0E-A2CF-207E46F267FF_zpsgag6bvic.jpg

Then wrap in bacon and use a toothpick to secure.

91F961E0-BC7A-4495-BCFC-A8FAFEEDBB24_zpsrzfk3jt8.jpg

I shook a little rub over them, then they cooked on the Shirley for 90 minutes or so? They turned out very nice.

Well folks... I am very humbled.. Chris gave me this medal from his platoon in Iraq... Some may not know Chris served 2 combat tours in Iraq as a marine... His wife is in the military and served 8 months in Africa as a nurse while Chris was at home with the boys... They are the reason we walk free... Along with the other veterans who lay down their life for this great nation... I am so greatful for all veterans present and pass..... This metal i will cherish with my life... No one can pry it from my hands.... Thank you Chris... OIF Marine.. (Operation Iraqi freedom)

I have a couple of medals (from out MilIntel battalion, which I still have no idea what they do, or where they go), but, not one that is quite like that. I also cherish them greatly.

I enjoyed today so much. It was just a big ol cookout that's went from about 5am to 10pm. All we did was sit around and enjoy each other's company and a pretty much constant supply of food. I am honored and humbled to be able to host this party to celebrate both Chris's service for our country, and Paul for his extremely generous gift. I tried to roll out the red carpet best I could. It's funny, 3 years ago I didn't know any of these guys, but I count them all as brothers today. The brethren is truly a one of a kind forum. Thanks to all you guys who followed along. Loved having y'all along for the ride. Wish you would have been here... Dang we have some serious leftovers!

Well folks... I am very humbled.. Chris gave me this medal from his platoon in Iraq... Some may not know Chris served 2 combat tours in Iraq as a marine... His wife is in the military and served 8 months in Africa as a nurse while Chris was at home with the boys... They are the reason we walk free... Along with the other veterans who lay down their life for this great nation... I am so greatful for all veterans present and pass..... This metal i will cherish with my life... No one can pry it from my hands.... Thank you Chris... OIF Marine.. (Operation Iraqi freedom)

I remember when Chris' wife came back.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Undoubtedly this is my other family. :nod:

Well folks we are on the road to Alabama... What a blast we had... Matt and his lovely wife Tina treated us just like family.... Felt just like i was at home.... Chicago KP's wife is is so sweet also.. Everyone was so much fun... Chris's wife was not able to be there due to work..
I think Between Matt... Chris.. And Chicago KP.. I will have to build new cabinets and get another deep freeze..i have friends for life.. That is for sure...the medal Chris gave me is in my pocket ... And brings tears to my eyes when i think of it... His children...Gunnar.. And Hunter.. Are named after 2 of his friends that were KIA in Iraq... That in and of itself tells you what kind of a man he is...just Awesome!!!!!

Dang guys thanks for the awesome thread! :thumb:

Sorry I couldn't be there or follow along yesterday. Had a cook to do for a fella with stage 3 lung cancer.

You all look like you were having a great time. And yes Paul and Sharon are wonderful people without a doubt. And the cooker................WOW!!!!!!

Be safe on your travels home Brother Paul and thanks again for this, it really shows the Spirit of the Brthren

Well folks we are on the road to Alabama... What a blast we had... Matt and his lovely wife Tina treated us just like family.... Felt just like i was at home.... Chicago KP's wife is is so sweet also.. Everyone was so much fun... Chris's wife was not able to be there due to work..
I think Between Matt... Chris.. And Chicago KP.. I will have to build new cabinets and get another deep freeze..i have friends for life.. That is for sure...the medal Chris gave me is in my pocket ... And brings tears to my eyes when i think of it... His children...Gunnar.. And Hunter.. Are named after 2 of his friends that were KIA in Iraq... That in and of itself tells you what kind of a man he is...just Awesome!!!!!

Hope you let Sharon drive through Chicago so you could get some good looks at the city as you're passing through! Safe travels home!

Back