Taco Bowls w/ Leftover Shawarma and Fried Rice

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
What to do with leftover Chicken Shawarma and Cauliflower Fried Rice? Make Taco Bowls to serve it in of course!

I had made these a few weeks ago using a (no surprise) Chef John recipe with 6 or 8" Tortillas, I can't quite recall. They turned out quite good, but the technique involved a lot of aluminum foil, a bunch of turning in the oven and careful monitoring to avoid excessive browning or burning.

This time I went with my own method and they turned out just as good, even if they weren't as browned. And since the smaller Tortillas didn't hold as much, I used 10" Tortillas this time. I've priced these bowls in the supermarket and making them yourself is a lot cheaper and incredibly easy. Here's how I made them.

I started out by microwaving four Tortillas for a minute or two to make them softer and more pliable. I brushed them with a small amount of Vegetable Oil and placed them over inverted Ramekins on baking sheets lined with a silicone mat.

Ramekins -

Because they were warm and pliable I was able to form their shape -

Into a 375 F oven for about 8 minutes, they come out looking like this. At this point they're somewhat crisp -

Flip 'em over, remove the Ramekins, and back in the oven they go to bake the inside -

After about another 5 or 6 minutes they're ready -

Served, filled with Cauliflower Fried Rice and Chicken Shawarma -

These were just as crisp as the ones I made previously and took a lot less effort to make. No special pans, no aluminum foil, just some shaping over oven proof Ramekins. If you don't have Ramekins, I've seen other methods using inverted muffin pans which help to define and hold their shape.

There you have it. A cultural mix of Mexican Taco Bowls, Almost Chinese Cauliflower Fried Rice and Middle Eastern Chicken Shawarma.

Thanks for checking in on today's experiment and dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Back