MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #31
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

I made my own for my 26 kettle. I added some expanded metal later on. Works great. Sorry about the size of the picture.

Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #32
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'll spend my money on something else. But who am I to tell anyone how to spend or not spend theirs? Buy it, don't buy it... whatever makes you happy. If you ask my opinion then that's different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 07:21 PM   #33
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

I used the SnS tonight to cook up some burgers. I'm more of a Vortex guy but when i bought a Weber table off a guy this past spring he included the SnS for free and to be honest I wasnt sure what it was. Did a google and wow i got a steal of a deal. I have used it a handful of times and its a nice addition to my grills. Now I pause to think should I vortex or SnS?? Good problems to have.

What does annoy me and not to piss off the DYI crowd but are the "dog bowl" vortex people. All over the Vortex/Weber facebook groups; gets annoying. I mean just pay the $38ish for the medium vortex and be done with it. Bah. To each their own. It's all bbq. :)

Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #34
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have watched a few of his videos. They are annoying.

Man, to each his own. I have a SNSXL in my 26.75 I bought used that is permanently parked there. I have a custom large basket I made out of 2 smaller baskets in my flat top 26. You know what? They both work well. The real value of the slow and sear is the indirect side. I use mine like an oven and it works like a charm. You could do the same with Weber baskets and foil wrapped bricks/Fire bricks.

I think that guy on YouTube should get off his high horse and start making better food.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #35
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpenny_05 View Post
All of these threads and youtube videos coming out are down right cringe-worthy. They are all just saying the same thing over and over again, yes we know the slow n sear is expensive, yes we know you can do the same thing with a fire brick and a water pan, yes we know you can get longer burn time without it, yes we know all of it.
It doesn't make the slow n sear a bad product, lots of people enjoy them. So what? You certainly don't need one to smoke on a kettle, or sear a steak. But you also don't even need a grill for either of those. Have you tried cooking in a trash can?? Hell, have you tried cooking in a hole in the ground??? You don't need a grill, but it certainly helps. Similarly, you don't need a slow n sear and you shouldn't care if people decide to spend the money on one.
Conversely, the videos that come out in favor of the product are just as bad. Why do they all have to be comparisons? Can you just show us how they work? And what applications they shine in and not make a pissing competition out of it? Somebody is always going to find a better or cheaper tool.
End. Rant.
And yet you posted this providing fuel to the trolls.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #36
jimbotx
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

I've watched a couple of his videos. A little painful to watch with all the chopped up editing. He seems to go after just about every product offered by ABC. You know, just do a review (pluses and minuses) and let it be known that there is this way and other ways to do this. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most people who have considered buying some of their products have also seen other ways to do it already (snake, other ways to sear, etc.).

This guy seems to epitomize that it's easier to knock someone else's product than to come up with your own.
jimbotx is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #37
noles2g

Love my SNS. I use old school baskets in my 99 redhead and the SnS in my performer. Versatile and easy to use tool.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #38
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds15 View Post
I made my own for my 26 kettle. I added some expanded metal later on. Works great. Sorry about the size of the picture.

Looks a lot like the one I made many years ago. Got tired of storing it and pitched it.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #39
smoke ninja

why doesn't everyone agree with me

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #40
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
why doesn't everyone agree with me
Morals or ethics just about covers it...

Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #41
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Another viewpoint:

Baby Back Maniac with the inventor of the SnS. Long vid. Harry Soo also came to see BBM. You decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRKsTjvn72I&t=8s
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #42
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Agree editing was terrible.
Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #43
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

You made it 4 minutes longer than I did. Couldn't deal with the out of focus camera, and the bobbing an weaving in and out. BYE BYE. I don't even own a kettle so I didn't care about what he was reviewing really, just wanted to see what the issue was, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchman View Post
I tried watching the video, could take all of about 5 minutes and went on to something more worthy of my time. The <snip>

-lunchman
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #44
barrettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post

Now the cold grate technique I'm not buying. I can to kickarse steak without jumping through all the hoops.
I didn't get all the hype about cold grate until I tried it. It actually does a really good job, if you're up for spinning the grate and all that. I don't always do it, but the times I have, I've really been happy with the results.

Usually, I'll do the cold grate technique if I've got a thicker steak I'm going to reverse sear. Otherwise, for a normal cook, I won't bother.

Again, it isn't necessary to make a great steak, just another technique, is all. But is effective.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #45
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

He makes money every time someone watches his video's, even if it is just to see what every one is talking about.