MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Talking Finally Got To Judge in 2020 ~ And A Double Header Weekend

Unfortunately, six or seven contests which I was confirmed to judge this year in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana cancelled. My last surviving event was the two-day Smoke & Soulfest in Casper, WY which was this weekend. I had a great time and the weather was near perfect for October in Wyoming.... which means wear a jacket and shorts in the morning, then loose the jacket by 10am.

Congrats to SLAPS BBQ, Grand Champion both days! And to Gettin' Basted, Reserve Champion for both days! Also a big thanks to the 39 other teams that made this weekend a success. I believe this was a record number of teams for this event.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

One of my favorite things to do. I had trouble getting in to some comps the last year that I was a judge. Two canceled and one I had to cancel. I really like the double headers. The best one I did had around 80 teams, including 10 or 15 of the most well-known names in BBQ.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #3
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I also did my first KCBS event this weekend Smoketoberfest Ottumwa IA. Very well run, safe, but cold as hell, and wet all day (mid 40's) .
I felt so bad for the teams, meat was cold which definitely affected taste and texture. I'm sure the pork was delicious warm but was greasy with poor mouth feel during judging. I really tried to upscore when in doubt.
I'm done for the year.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I just checked the KCBS website and it looked like there were some good scores. Hope that translated to good food in front of YOU.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Thanks for judging! It was a fun event, and I know we enjoyed going up there. Thought we had a much better day on Sunday than Saturday, but the judges saw it opposite. Oh well, that's how it goes.

Hope you had some good food in front of you.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
I just checked the KCBS website and it looked like there were some good scores. Hope that translated to good food in front of YOU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
Thanks for judging! It was a fun event, and I know we enjoyed going up there. Thought we had a much better day on Sunday than Saturday, but the judges saw it opposite. Oh well, that's how it goes.

Hope you had some good food in front of you.
Yes, I had some good looking, and wonderful bites at my tables on both days. Things ran smoothly inside the tent as well. I felt bad for the Table Captains and the volunteers because the COVID protocol did not allow a leftover table for them to snack on in-between turn-ins.

I cooked there last year and we considered it early this year.... but frankly I was glad I was on the eating end.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
North Is Up
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Arnie

@THIRDEYE - I would have liked to have met you in the tent. What a great event and the quality of the food was fantastic. I feel fortunate to have participated in a different position each day, which is what I like to do. I was also in Casper three years ago when I think it was the inaugural year.
Pit Boss Series-5 Copperhead
Miss Silvia and Rocky
Life quote from Jersey Shore: "I know I'm not the smartest crayon in the box, but this isn't rocket scientist!
North Is Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

The judging was almost perfect there!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Is Up View Post
@THIRDEYE - I would have liked to have met you in the tent. What a great event and the quality of the food was fantastic. I feel fortunate to have participated in a different position each day, which is what I like to do. I was also in Casper three years ago when I think it was the inaugural year.
Who knows, maybe we did meet. I was on the west end of the tent both days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
The judging was almost perfect there!
I didn't realize you guys were there until I saw the scores Saturday night.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:51 AM   #10
ashleypaul
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : ashley

Yea! It was a fun day. Need more of these.
ashleypaul is offline   Reply With Quote