20 lb brisket crunch time?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been prepping for this cook all week long on my new WSM 22. I've gotten a lot of great advice here. Now I've run into a dilemma. I just realized how big my brisket is. It's 20 pounds! I've always followed you need to account for 1 and 1/2 hours per pound of brisket. If I was to do low and slow for this massive brisket it could take 24 hours. What would be a good alternative to where I can have this meat cooked delicious and ready to serve my family and friends tomorrow at 3? I've seen one video where a guy Cooks low and slow at 225 for 4 hours and then bumped up the temperature to 300 to finish off the cook. I've never cook brisket like this I've always done low and slow I'm just new to the WSM.

275-300 should knock it out quickly. You can hold for 4+ hours if it's done too early. You'll have to wrap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

275-300 should knock it out quickly. You can hold for 4+ hours if it's done too early. You'll have to wrap.

I have a roll of butcher paper. I wonder if I should cook between 2:25 to 2:50 for 4 hours and then bump the temperature up to 300 and finish off the cook. I've never cooked brisket like this I've always done low and slow

I've cooked them at 225 and I've cooked them at 300, I like cooking at 300 much better. I do start out at 225 when cooking on the pellet grill to get some smoke on it but once it's wrapped I go straight to 300 and sometimes even 325 if I want to hurry things along. The brisket doesn't know what temp you're cooking at it just knows when it's done.

I have a roll of butcher paper. I wonder if I should cook between 2:25 to 2:50 for 4 hours and then bump the temperature up to 300 and finish off the cook. I've never cooked brisket like this I've always done low and slow
That will work. Better to finish early though.

I would put it on before bed tonight with water in the pan with the bottom vents cracked open about 1/8". You can wrap and bump up the heat in the morning, and should have plenty of time to eat at 3:00.

I've been prepping for this cook all week long on my new WSM 22. I've gotten a lot of great advice here. Now I've run into a dilemma. I just realized how big my brisket is. It's 20 pounds! I've always followed you need to account for 1 and 1/2 hours per pound of brisket. If I was to do low and slow for this massive brisket it could take 24 hours. What would be a good alternative to where I can have this meat cooked delicious and ready to serve my family and friends tomorrow at 3? I've seen one video where a guy Cooks low and slow at 225 for 4 hours and then bumped up the temperature to 300 to finish off the cook. I've never cook brisket like this I've always done low and slow I'm just new to the WSM.

What you can also do is finish in the oven.
After you get your smoke flavor and some good drippings (IT about 140* - 150*) wrap it up with the drippings and put in oven to finish at 300*. But watch your internal temp and pull at about 200*. Wrap in a beach towel and let it rest a couple hours.
Regardless it is a longer cook with that size brisket.
Hope the suggestion helps.

Imgur>>>photobucket just saying.

xKi3dH0.jpg

They don't like using Photobucket on this site?
No has nothing todo with it just look at your picture with photobucket host store share across your pics, plus they screwed a lot of us around a few years ago, lost a lot of great cook photos because of their business practices.

Outstanding now all you need todo is resize the pic. :thumb:

damn i fvcked up big time. i have the new Samsung S20 ultra. the picture files are massive like a digital slr. my bad. i will try to fix this

Oh my God, that's hilarious!!!

$100 brisket? None for me thanks.
Ed

Back