First Brisket on My New Shirley 24x36

flexstar

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First brisket cook is planned on my new offset Shirley 24x36 this weekend, and I have a simple question. Should the fat side go down or up? I've been cooking brisket on my BGE and have always cooked with the fat side up. Thanks and I look forward to y'all comments.

Same as Burnt at Both Endz. Put the fat between the heat and meat. That is fat side down for my smoker.

It will not make a nickel’s worth of difference on a Shirley.They are reverse flow.Heat radiates from the bottom and flows over the top.I prefer fat cap up on my Shirley.Just personal preference.It looks sexy when you let everyone view it before carving.

I guess it really depends on your smoker/pellet grill. On my pellet grill fat side up

I cook fat down. Tried it both ways. Not much diff. I was taught fat down. Do it.

Fat side down, you have a reverse flow plate that radiates heat upwards.

I don't think it really matters much but I was taught that the fat cap goes toward the heat source which on most of my smokers that is from the bottom so fat cap down for me.

Haven't experimented on the Shirley yet but I did on the XL BGE a few years ago.
I did 2 small butts, one fat up and one fat down. Didn't notice any difference between the two. I don't know if a couple of small briskets would have the same results but it might be worth trying.

As fat renders, if the fat side is down, where does all the fat go? Isn't fat side up going to keep the rendered fat on top and help the meat absorb that back in after the stall?

As fat renders, if the fat side is down, where does all the fat go? Isn't fat side up going to keep the rendered fat on top and help the meat absorb that back in after the stall?

Fat cap up melting back into the meat is a myth. The purpose of fat cap up is to protect the meat if the heat source is stronger from the top of the pit. So if you are cooking on something like a UDS, the heat is coming from the bottom, so fat cap down in this case to protect the bottom side of the meat. Some cookers have more heat coming over the top of the meat, so in that case it would be fat cap up.

I've had best results flipping brisket.
I also flip. I start fat cap down then fat cap up when I wrap in BP. I like letting the flat sit in the juices while wrapped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back