WSM Hanging Racks

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Now that they've been out for a bit, has anyone used one of these? What were your results like? Did you remove the water pan? What temp were you cooking at?

I'd like to see if I can emulate the results of the PBC on the 22" WSM by removing the water pan and cooking at 270. I have an extender for the WSM, so two hanging racks will give me a huge capacity (comparatively).

Thanks,

Eric

I fabricated my own rack and run my 22" w/o water pan and guru set at 300* with great results. So far I've only done chickens and Tri tip.

I've got one and use it fairly regularly. So far I've done chicken halves, STL and BB ribs, a tri-tip, whole trout and beef ribs.
For me, no water pan, and I try to run my 18.5 around 275.
I bought the hooks and tool from the PBC company. The hooks are much sturdier than what Weber supplies.
When I first used the rack, I tended to knock off one or both of the cross pieces you hang the meat on when removingit. I finally used wire to lash one end of the cross pieces to the rack. So far, so good.
I like how the food tastes, and surprisingly the end of the ribs closest to the coals don't burn.
All in all for me, a good purchase.
tri-tip_zps69a0749d.jpg

Just curious: what are the reasons to remove the water pan as opposed to using it or just using it to hold a heat sink? Without the pan is there a potential for flareups as the deliciousness drips directly onto the coals?

Just curious: what are the reasons to remove the water pan as opposed to using it or just using it to hold a heat sink? Without the pan is there a potential for flareups as the deliciousness drips directly onto the coals?
Flare ups are far enough below the food to not cause any problems.

No danger, and it's a different taste that will be provided from the juices dropping down on the coals.

With a water pan installed, the bottom of the racks of ribs would be resting in the pan, too.
But the cooking meat dripping in the coals is an aroma to savor.

some people have said that they had issues of the weber one falling in.
so just make sure its seated properly.

The rack is great. If you want to do chickens you can just hang them from the bottom of the grate however.

Keeping the water pan in place is only if you want to smoke indirectly.

Paul, that's a GREAT hanger you got there!
a while ago, a member on TVWBB made his own, I liked it so much, I copied his.
here is mine with a coupla Cornish hens on it

IMG_6841.JPG

this thing works GREAT on all my 22" Weber Kettles (using the top of the 22" WSM) and on my 22"WSM.
Hang birds, ribs, tri tips, man... you name it!

Oh! That's really nice JazzCat, I like the fact that you can also use it on the kettle. :thumb:

Thanks for the input everyone.

I hope to have my racks soon. I look forward to experimenting!

Eric

Back