MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default For you judge types

It's no surprise that any time a post comes (see earlier post) up concerning judging garnish you'll hear from me. I was on the CBJ Committee for several years and had noticed the varying thoughts on judging garnish (better picture frame etc.). Cook teams complained about how much weight was given to putting green boxes many under the impression it shouldn't matter at all.

I asked the committee, Reps, BOD and discovered that half thought it (garnish) should be scored and half thought it should not be scored. Hence the clarification of the rule to where it is today.
Garnish is optional,if used, once determined to be legal plays no further role in the appearance score.
The overwhelming reason from the long time participants that started this mess was this "this is a damn meat contest not a lettuce contest".
So the rule was cleaned up and made clear as a bell (I wish).

The point of all this is to maybe continue clarification of appearance scoring. How do you as a judge consider sauce shmeres on the inside edges of the turn in box?
Now we all understand to ignore any sauce on the inside lid because it could be caused by turn in table or TC persons.
Do you look for it? Do you score down for it? Should it matter?
Remember the mantra "this a damn meat contest".
Would you want it mentioned in the rules, do you think it should be scored down?

I'll go first, sauce smears anywhere inside the turn in container should be ignored as it is impossible to determine who caused it, and yes it should be mentioned in the rules.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
TheDeuce
Full Fledged Farker

Yep, it’s definitely the off-season.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Everything but the meat is ignored when I judge which is rarely in SoCal now a days.
Only time I may notice something is when the meat has a fingerprint in the sauce. Don't think anyone other than a team member could do that because the box is not opened until it reaches the judging table.
Yes, add the language.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Judge the meat, not the box.
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Ugh..."It's a meat contest"

I believe Brad said it best - It's a BBQ contest, not a meat contest

That doesn't have a lot to do with this question, it just frustrates me.

That said, I think presentation should be all encompassing and the box is your plate. Present your plate how you want the consumer to see it, view, and eat it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I'll go first, sauce smears anywhere inside the turn in container should be ignored as it is impossible to determine who caused it, and yes it should be mentioned in the rules
I agree, a statement to that effect should be included in the rules. If it prevents one judge from scoring down when they should not, it's worth it.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post

That said, I think presentation should be all encompassing and the box is your plate. Present your plate how you want the consumer to see it, view, and eat it.
Exactly. KCBS never has been, never will be nor should it ever be a "meat contest".

It is a BBQ contest where appearance matters.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post

But, the "plate" isn't supposed to be judged. The garnish isn't supposed to be judged (other than legality). So what is left to judge? The BBQ in the box (meat). "Presentation" is not a scoring category in KCBS. The scoring is for "Appearance", Taste, and Tenderness. Table captains even remind judges when they show a box for Appearance scoring that they are judging the appearance of the meat.
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I know that's how the rules are, regarding appearance. I'm stating how I think they should be.

I also believe that, subconsciously, the VAST majority - if not all - of judges have the garnish and the way it frames the BBQ has an affect on the scoring of appearance. Much like a painting looks better in a nice frame than just taped to a wall. I think the proof of that is in how much effort the cooks put into making the greens look nice.

I am also not saying that makes any judge a "bad" judge. Just that if we acknowledge this human trait, cooks can prepare better, and it can provide guidance throughout the organization when developing rule changes, etc.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

And on the flip side, I've had EXCELLENT bbq, presented "bare" in its 9x9 claimshell box.

In fact, I look forward to such a box as it make my job easier... No garnish to judge the legality of...

Last edited by Bob in Corona; 02-25-2020 at 04:45 PM..
Bob in Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
But, the "plate" isn't supposed to be judged. The garnish isn't supposed to be judged (other than legality). So what is left to judge? The BBQ in the box (meat). "Presentation" is not a scoring category in KCBS. The scoring is for "Appearance", Taste, and Tenderness. Table captains even remind judges when they show a box for Appearance scoring that they are judging the appearance of the meat.
Turn in a sloppy box and one that is neatly placed and organized on top of some garnish and let me know which one scores better.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Im an FBA member / cook team , FBA is zero garnish in the box allowed.

That said i find it harder especially with pork box , no way you would want just few lil piles of pork in the box to point where could see the bottom. So this requires us to cook ALOT more "perfect meat" cause whats in there gets judged.
same with ribs if tried just 6 with no garnish to hold them in place they could "move on you" easily.

It can however look great ! with no garnish

Last edited by Smokin D@wg@77; 03-30-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Smokin D@wg@77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #13
ModelMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin D@wg@77 View Post
Im an FBA member / cook team , FBA is zero garnish in the box allowed.

That said i find it harder especially with pork box , no way you would want just few lil piles of pork in the box to point where could see the bottom. So this requires us to cook ALOT more "perfect meat" cause whats in there gets judged.
same with ribs if tried just 6 with no garnish to hold them in place they could "move on you" easily.

It can however look great ! with no garnish
WOW, very well done sir!!
Ed.
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #14
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

Any contest Have judged or TC lately has included the admonition not to knock down for sauce on the box as it can be introduced in handeling. I repeat that as tc when the boix is opened.. Pretty clear. There are 2 reasons for garnish as I understand it.. To absorb excess juice that may be expressed by hot entries particularly chicken, and if the cook desired,to provide a contrasting background to set off and frame their handywork and presentation so as to present it in the best light.. Thats it
GMG Davy Crockett
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain/100+ Club
SCA Prime Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want ":loco:
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #15
ModelMaker

Good.
Ed