MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #61
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

To those wondering about Paul's backwoods in-laws and their no charcoal basket process in a UDS, it works fine, I have seen and cooked with a team that opts not to use a charcoal basket all the time. They use charcoal and wood, bank the fire against one side, open that vent, which is a 1.25" pipe nipple and light it up. The charcoal draws air through that inlet just fine. They use a simple ball valve, like many of us on a UDS and adjust that way. It is actually no worse for cleaning out, and if your drum is tight, the fire smothers fine and the charcoal is dumped out, raked a bit and can be reused. I think the basket makes it nicer, but, it is just one more thing that has to be made and maintained in their eyes.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #62
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Cool! Thanks landarc.

Something that crossed my mind. My drum source rarely has open tops. So at that point I'm a closed top, weber lid kinda guy. We know sometimes a weber lid fits one's drum, but a lot of times either the drum or the lid has to be modified to fit properly. I was thinking if one was to lay the rebar on top of the drum, like Paul's BIL, then a weber lid would sit atop the rebar right nicely. No mods necessary! Plus if one already has a uds, then they could easily swap between hanging the meat or using cooking grates, at their discretion. Two styles in one! Jason

Old 01-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #63
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate749 View Post
I cant believe you would still ask that? I mean honestly I know imitation is the biggest form of flattery but really? Why don't you call Noah and ask him and see if he tells you, or better yet just buy one and measure the freak out of it and go through the hassle of returning it and then be honest about returning it and make your clone. Im not chopping on you but since Noah isn't on here to defend himself I think someone kinda should.

Put it this way.. How would you feel if you had to train someone at work and I mean train them give them all your little tricks tips and insight and bam you were released from your position and you never saw it coming and now that person is reaping from the knowledge you gave them. Thats how I look at it.

I have never met or talked to Noah or Patio but I understand why this tread made him upset.. He reviewed and I also reviewed this cooker and others also not to brag and say this is better than anything else out there. I liked it because it was simple and easy to use. I love BBQ and this site has made me a 1000% times better at it but lately with my schedule I needed an easy cooker to continue to enjoy bbq and this seemed like it was it. And it worked for me.

I'm not trying to offend or stir the pot, I am a new guy here and I like it here but I believe respect for someone else's product goes a long way. I feel directly copying someones product is a cheap shot.. but thats just me
so I guess when you get over yourself I can have the measurements???

Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #64
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

I have gotten over myself along time ago actually. I guess it is just the different creed of men we are.. Yes I read post#46 I just honestly didn't think anyone would be so blatant. Nothing wrong with a little good conversation.. right Bludawg?
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #65
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Bludawg,
Just looking at pictures it appears to be 3" or 4".

Nate,
While I can't speak for Bludawg and others participating in this discussion, I am under the impression that nobody is interested in building an exact copy of the PBC. I suspect that they, and certainly me, are more interested in discussing what makes the pbc "tick", if you will.

The first step in any build is research and planning, right? Thats all we're doing. Personally, if my intent was an exact copy, then I WOULD buy one, and copy it. PBCs are built the way they are because the owner thought that's the way they should built. As a person who has been building things all my life, I've got my own ideas on how it should built. And that's how I will build it, MY way.

So at that point the PBCs are nothing more than an inspiration, not a blueprint.

Jason

Old 01-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #66
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Who the fark cares!?

I'm gonna steal the UDS idea but take my barrel, cut it in half, and lay it horizontal on a home made stand. Then just to tick everyone off, I'm gonna call it a Lang!!! Mwahahaha!

See my reasoning? Anyone can build a 30gal uds with a 3 inch intake and two pieces of rebar. Use some stainless hooks to cook the meat over a 12" diameter fire basket, have the option for a grate, and all heck, I'll get it powder coated black too with horseshoe handles to match. With all that, what do I get???? A 30gal UDS with rebar, 12" fire basket and stainless hooks with a 3" intake that's powder coated black and has horseshoe handles...

What makes that different than a real Pit Barrel Cooker from the Pit Barrel Cooker Co.????????

The name brand......
No matter how much I would want that cooker to be a real PBC, it will never be. Unless of course I ripped the name brand badge of another one!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #67
Bludawg

The only reason I asked is so I don't under size it I like to do it right the first time. Now If I can find a used drum I'll be all set. I can get a new one but being the frugal person that I am I'm coming up empty. I may have to bite the bullet and spend the 90.00 for a new one.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #68
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn View Post
Cool! Thanks landarc.

Something that crossed my mind. My drum source rarely has open tops. So at that point I'm a closed top, weber lid kinda guy. We know sometimes a weber lid fits one's drum, but a lot of times either the drum or the lid has to be modified to fit properly. I was thinking if one was to lay the rebar on top of the drum, like Paul's BIL, then a weber lid would sit atop the rebar right nicely. No mods necessary! Plus if one already has a uds, then they could easily swap between hanging the meat or using cooking grates, at their discretion. Two styles in one! Jason
I think you are going to want a tighter fit than what I think you are proposing will give you. But, maybe not, in any event, the trick is going to be that you want at least as airtight a fit as on a Weber kettle (which is not all that perfect actually). The key in any build, of any smoker, is air control. You simply have to be able to control how much air is getting to your fire to control the heat. (except with a pellet cooker, that controls the fuel feed and heating element that ignites the pellets)

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #69
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I think you are going to want a tighter fit than what I think you are proposing will give you. But, maybe not, in any event, the trick is going to be that you want at least as airtight a fit as on a Weber kettle (which is not all that perfect actually). The key in any build, of any smoker, is air control. You simply have to be able to control how much air is getting to your fire to control the heat. (except with a pellet cooker, that controls the fuel feed and heating element that ignites the pellets)

If he CAN get the weber lid to work though, that would sure give some nice clearance for turkeys and such.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #70
landarc

Yes, my UDS has a Weber lid, and it fits just fine. It all comes down to the drum.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #71
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Yes, my UDS has a Weber lid, and it fits just fine. It all comes down to the drum.
IMO that's like having the best of both worlds, bet your pullin off some sweet cooks on that one.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #72
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Basically it would be exactly like Paul's bil's set up, except instead of a regular barrel lid, just setting a weber lid on the rebar. Shutting off both intakes and exhaust. And letting the gap that the rebar creates between the barrel and lid be the exhaust/ intake. I would just use a regular lid, but I don't have one.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #73
16Adams

Default dirty harry

Remember the dude laying bleeding in the concrete and Harry Callahan has the SW Model 29 leveled at his brain housing group, and the conversation about how many shots had been fired. Dude on the ground tells Harry, "I gots to know". Well I gots to know too. Just ordered a PBC. C-note+ discount and free shipping. A freak'n men.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #74
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Remember the dude laying bleeding in the concrete and Harry Callahan has the SW Model 29 leveled at his brain housing group, and the conversation about how many shots had been fired. Dude on the ground tells Harry, "I gots to know". Well I gots to know too. Just ordered a PBC. C-note+ discount and free shipping. A freak'n men.

To be fair its more than a c-note, that said I would like to have one, but not for $329.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #75
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

225$ shipped to your door if you use the kingsford discount code.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote