MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #46
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I am am going to add to this and put an end to the drama.

This forums goal is knowledge sharing. Period.

I got a call from a friend yesterday.... Phil, what size tires on on your jeep, i never thought he was stealing Chrysler/Jeep designs.

What are the dimensions of the firebox on my Klose Backyard chef?? What is the shape of of the diverter in a hondo, or the boiler door on a jambo...Or does anyone know if Plowboy uses Cumin in his rub? Questions like this are asked 1000's of times here.

Are we really expected to avoid these questions, or remove them?
NEVER.! Those are unreasonable expectations for any public forum. Without sharing our information and our ideas we would be nothing.

There is no business owner worth his salt that does not expect their ideas or products to be replicated, duplicated or fabricated. This forum specifically has 2 other 'pirated' forums which duplicates our content verbatim and claims it their own. Just today, i was informed of someone using our logo and claiming they designed it, whereas I have the evolution of our logo going back 10 years and have it registered with the patent attorneys office. Its inevitable the minute your design hits the streets that someone will want to copy it. Information that can be gotten by walking into lowes with a tape measure is not protected by any means, registered or not. Weber cannot hide the fact that the kettle is 22 inches and its not wrong to ask someone to measure the grate in their kettle.

The idea of homebuilt knockoffs and the search for information is all over this forum, always will be and is 100% impossible to police or avoid, and would be a mistake to discourage. We have had discussions about backwoods, spicewines, stumps, langs, klose, komodos and BGE.. EVERYONE OF THEM HAVE COMMON COMPONENTS, AND each one stands on its own.

Granted that if asking for all the nitty gritty details of a cooker openly stating your going into business is at the least, in poor taste and may face discouragment, but we are not the USPTO, and cannot stifle or discourage the ingenuity and curiosity of our members. Home built pits are just as much part of BBQ as is home made rubs. We cant police every question and we cant stifle the flow of information.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #47
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

SO..... Can any one tell me the size of the intake hole and how much of the hole is covered???

Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #48
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
I hung two Tri Tips in my 22" WSM with no water pan, a half fire ring of wicked good lump and some KB to get them started on a minion burn, used my Guru to maintain 290* (rock solid). The Tri Tips came out better than I had expected but next time I'm gonna try 300* to 325*
paul , seeing how youve cooked with rack & hanging in the wsm, can you tell a difference of the cook quality?

i've heard some reports that hanging gives the meat a more consistent cook. Also, I've seen some photos of smoke houses and they use a netting (of some sort) to hang the meat.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #49
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
paul , seeing how youve cooked with rack & hanging in the wsm, can you tell a difference of the cook quality?

i've heard some reports that hanging gives the meat a more consistent cook. Also, I've seen some photos of smoke houses and they use a netting (of some sort) to hang the meat.
The cook quality was outstanding, I'd say better than a reverse seared TT (tenderness, moistness and juiciness). I pulled them at 135 internal and it was a nice med rare from center almost all the way out (maybe 3/16" of gray on outer edge tops).

In the barrels my BIL cooks in he also uses fish grilling baskets to hang where it isn't possible to hang the item on the hooks (potatoes, corn, small pieces of meat etc). Just remove the wood on the handle and modify the latch (ask me how we know this ).

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #50
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Paul,

I'm curious. Being that there's no charcoal basket, how does your BIL recycle his charcoal for the next cook? I guess the next day you could empty it out and seperate ash from charcoal. Do you know how he does it? I'm really getting interested in you bil's style of cooker.
Jason

Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #51
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Yeah they just pretty much let the coals burn out. I've tried to talk them into making a charcoal basket with an ash pan that they can just lift out and they think I'm nuts.
In fact they call my WSM a "pretty boy smoker" which is cool with me because it not only rocks but it can also do what their "garbage cans" (that's what I call theirs) can.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #52
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
SO..... Can any one tell me the size of the intake hole and how much of the hole is covered???
I cant believe you would still ask that? I mean honestly I know imitation is the biggest form of flattery but really? Why don't you call Noah and ask him and see if he tells you, or better yet just buy one and measure the freak out of it and go through the hassle of returning it and then be honest about returning it and make your clone. Im not chopping on you but since Noah isn't on here to defend himself I think someone kinda should.

Put it this way.. How would you feel if you had to train someone at work and I mean train them give them all your little tricks tips and insight and bam you were released from your position and you never saw it coming and now that person is reaping from the knowledge you gave them. Thats how I look at it.

I have never met or talked to Noah or Patio but I understand why this tread made him upset.. He reviewed and I also reviewed this cooker and others also not to brag and say this is better than anything else out there. I liked it because it was simple and easy to use. I love BBQ and this site has made me a 1000% times better at it but lately with my schedule I needed an easy cooker to continue to enjoy bbq and this seemed like it was it. And it worked for me.

I'm not trying to offend or stir the pot, I am a new guy here and I like it here but I believe respect for someone else's product goes a long way. I feel directly copying someones product is a cheap shot.. but thats just me
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #53
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

My understanding is that the moderators have no problem with the topic of this discussion. Their concern is that its done in a courteous, civilized, respectful, and Brethren like manner. :)

Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #54
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

See post 46, Nate749
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #55
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

IMO, I think questions regarding building details of this cooker should have been handled through PM's to begin with, considering the nature of the product, without stepping on someone's toes. That's what I would have done, if looking for specific dimensions, for instance. Just sayin'....

Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #56
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
How about buying one to find out? It's pretty crass to ask on a public forum how to
copy a commercial product. Just sayin'...

John
You also should consider PBC's are only sold in the US and some people dont have the option to purchase one.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #57
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
The cook quality was outstanding, I'd say better than a reverse seared TT (tenderness, moistness and juiciness). I pulled them at 135 internal and it was a nice med rare from center almost all the way out (maybe 3/16" of gray on outer edge tops).

In the barrels my BIL cooks in he also uses fish grilling baskets to hang where it isn't possible to hang the item on the hooks (potatoes, corn, small pieces of meat etc). Just remove the wood on the handle and modify the latch (ask me how we know this ).

That basket is a great idea, thanks for the tip.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #58
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I like the hanging basket idea too. I'll try that and the hanging ribs on the UDS.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #59
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah I'm digging the basket. Great idea!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #60
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate749 View Post
I cant believe you would still ask that? I mean honestly I know imitation is the biggest form of flattery but really? Why don't you call Noah and ask him and see if he tells you, or better yet just buy one and measure the freak out of it and go through the hassle of returning it and then be honest about returning it and make your clone. Im not chopping on you but since Noah isn't on here to defend himself I think someone kinda should.

Put it this way.. How would you feel if you had to train someone at work and I mean train them give them all your little tricks tips and insight and bam you were released from your position and you never saw it coming and now that person is reaping from the knowledge you gave them. Thats how I look at it.

I have never met or talked to Noah or Patio but I understand why this tread made him upset.. He reviewed and I also reviewed this cooker and others also not to brag and say this is better than anything else out there. I liked it because it was simple and easy to use. I love BBQ and this site has made me a 1000% times better at it but lately with my schedule I needed an easy cooker to continue to enjoy bbq and this seemed like it was it. And it worked for me.

I'm not trying to offend or stir the pot, I am a new guy here and I like it here but I believe respect for someone else's product goes a long way. I feel directly copying someones product is a cheap shot.. but thats just me
Did u not read our stance on this or are u choosing to ignore it?

Please read or re-read my previous post.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote