MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
It would appear that there's sufficient rocket surgery involved to foil many
would be craftsmen, which is a good thing.

It kills me that it's "just a smaller UDS", yet it would appear that folks are
finding out that it's not. If it is a small UDS, just get a 30-gallon drum and
build a smaller UDS. Simple, eh?

John
Yes I think it is simple. It's somewhat insulting to insist that thousands of people can build a uds, but throw in a couple of pieces of rebar and a powder coating and they will be lost? Come on! I make a living building things with my hands.

As far as putting my money where my mouth is , I intend to do just that. I've checked on prices for PC'ing, pretty cheap actually. Rebar? It's on every job I go on. Same for the 14" pipe. Most of the pipe fitters I know would glady give me such a small piece, even cut it for me. Welding the basket? Yeah I can do that too. And unlike the pbc's, I'd actually weld around the entire basket, not a spot weld here and there. Putting holes in the barrel? I know how to use unibits and hole saws, been using them for years as an electrician. Hooks? I could use stainless rod, bend it, then sharpen with a grinder. But to be honest, I'd probably order those, possibly from PBC.

Lets see, anything else? Oh yeah you like to mention that the owners a veteran. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 17. Joined during war time. Desert Storm. Does that count? And I wont need anybodies number on the side, being as I built it. Patented? Personally my intakes would be just like on my uds, ball valve and 1 or 2 close nipples w/ pipe caps. At that point the patents not an issue anymore, is it? Plus I could adjust on the fly, instead of looking for a screwdriver.

As far as any morality issue is concerned that might prevent me from building one, again Noah didn't invent them. He did like everybody else does. Researched it, then took what he thought were the best ideas, and then implemented them. Tested the prototype, then continued to build and tweak them till he was satisfied.

Now, tell me again why I couldn't or shouldn't build one? Then again, isn't Noah a member here?

Jason

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

When have I said that the PBC is complicated and/or hard to build?

It's not an ability thing, it's a wisdom and ethics thing. Can you do
what you outlined? Sure. Can you do it for $225, I'd say no way. Your
time, like others', isn't free.

As for the patent issue, the patent is on the meat hanging method, not
your mack daddy intake system. You might do well to investigate before
spouting platitudes.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Clone builds are part of this site. If questions about building a Stumps clone, Lang clone, Backwoods Clone, and others are OK, PBC clone questions are too.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #19
NavarreQ
On the road to being a farker

I'm sorta new to to the site, Do all thread's get derailed like this ?
NavarreQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

OK, I've wasted enough time trying to inject some reason here.

Y'all have fun!

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
To be honest, I don't know where Noah's idea or research began. Call him and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to discuss it.

As for the "essence" of drum cookers, I don't know about that either. However, let's replace the word "cooker" with "rub". How do you think the following would go over with honest folks here?

"Does anyone have the recipe for Plowboys Yard Bird rub? I want to make my own."

Playing devil's advocate, isn't the essence of BBQ rub such that anyone can make them with simple ingredients?

John
John are implying that everybody here that has built a uds is dishonest? Btw, you never addressed the question about your uds's. Youre telling me you didn't follow the threads here to build yours? Why didn't you buy one? Do you consider that dishonest? As far as rubs go, I make my own simply because I know what I like.
Your a little overzealous with the whole pbc thing. I can assure you I'm not the only one here that's gotten a little tired of you claiming how everybody with a differing opinion is wrong.

Jason

Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=NavarreQ;2341047]I'm sorta new to to the site, Do all thread's get derailed like this ?[/QUOTE

The PBC threads tend to :)

Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
When have I said that the PBC is complicated and/or hard to build?

It's not an ability thing, it's a wisdom and ethics thing. Can you do
what you outlined? Sure. Can you do it for $225, I'd say no way. Your
time, like others', isn't free.

As for the patent issue, the patent is on the meat hanging method, not
your mack daddy intake system. You might do well to investigate before
spouting platitudes.

John
Man you sure evaded the uds question huh! I wonder why?

There's nothing new about hanging meat John and you know that. I'm done too. I apologize to the original poster. I apologize to any brethren who may have been offended. But my opinions still stand, and I meant every word.

Jason

Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I find this all so petty, the original commercial UDS was and still is the Big Drum Smoker.I don't see to many mentioned because they are over priced and I don't see anybody whining about all the home built ones. As much as I believe in buying American made products I can see some serious profit to be made taking a PBS off shore. I might just have to buy one and Ship it over there to start a company might be the best 349.00 investment I ever made. That is capitalism at it's best!
Mean while back at the ranch Granny is still beating off the the Indians.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #25
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
OK, I've wasted enough time trying to inject some reason here.

Y'all have fun!

John

If I didn't know better, I would think you might be an investor in the PBC company.

The PBC cookers look great. Noah did not invent the UDS or hanging meat in a smoker on hooks.

All through BBQ history cooks have dug holes to build pits, welded scrap oil field pipe to make offset stick burners, used scrap 55 gallon drums to make UDS smokers and lately used old Weber smokey joes / tamale pots to make WSM Minis. Experimenting and building different pits is half the fun of the BBQ hobby.

Chill out up there in Idaho.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #26
N8man
Babbling Farker

Unlike, oh I don't know, posting a recipe to replicate a well loved famous filleted chicken sandwich?!?
I had a higher regard for you John, and have enjoyed your contributions to the forum in the past, but your response in and of itself has me reevaluating that. If you didn't want to answer the OP's question, that's fine, but don't make statements like this. I think it was callous, uncalled for and not very Brethren like.....but that is just my opinion...take it for what it's worth....Just sayin'...

Remember me saying "slippery slope" in one of those other Pit Barrell threads?
You sir are dancing on it....

Quote:
It's pretty crass to ask on a public forum how to copy a commercial product. Just sayin'...

John

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!

Last edited by N8man; 01-25-2013 at 01:32 AM..
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #27
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I definitely saw some threads like this on the BGE thread where people wold say "what do you think of the Kamadojoe/Akorn/Primo" and someone mad would respond with "this is the bge forum. have some respect."

I can kinda see both sides of the situation.

And I definitely do not think PatioDaddio has any vested stock in PBC. He is a fire proven member of the community, but i do think he takes it personally and is just appreciative of the product (and he probably feels attached to it- he was kinda the one who introduced it to all of us and is partly the reason we're talking about it right now). He seems to be good friends with the people at PBC, and thats a good thing in a niche industry as small as this. Plus, I might feel the same if some one said, "how do i clone a kettle?", and I can assure you I have absolutely zero stock in weber products- I have just come to appreciate them, and would definitely defend it if need be.

In all seriousness though, I'll probably try one out and see for myself. I could *probably* build something simlar for less than 225 (probably not better), but I'm not that handy when it comes to building things (although i can gerry rig anything), so I'll probably just go with the surefire thing and buy one.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 01-25-2013 at 02:14 AM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #28
Garrett
Babbling Farker

It should flatter the Noah dude that folks are trying to build a cooker like his.

I know Stumps thinks its pretty cool. I've heard that anyway.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
How about buying one to find out? It's pretty crass to ask on a public forum how to
copy a commercial product. Just sayin'...

John

Commercial product? A barrel with rebar? If the PBC guy was worried about it getting copied maybe he should have built it out of something we can't all find at a scrap yard.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Not trying to rekindle a fire but when someone say "protected intellectual property"
are they saying a patent was issued or is it pending? For an invention to be patentable it must:
be statutory,
be new,
be useful, and
be nonobvious.
As far as intelectual property is concerned I think the whole Idea of the PBS is neat but I would be hard pressed to say its original and innovated. But unless you never copied a CD, VIDEO GAME, DVD, a song off the radio or bought a movie off a street vender. I would not be to inclined to accuse someone of stealing intellectual properties.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote