MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #241
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
Last brisket I did stalled at 150 for over 8 hours. I finally said f it (forget it) and crutched it. It went from 150 to 209 in two hours
You should try cooking a brisket with a grate temp of 275º. You'll get through the stall in a fraction of the time.

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #242
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
You just joined the Thoey63 Club - now sell the stickburner and buy an LSG IVC.
How do i join this club? Do they get group discounts on KBB?
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #243
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Last brisket I did stalled at 150 for over 8 hours. I finally said f it (forget it) and crutched it. It went from 150 to 209 in two hours
It was the charcoal. Maybe you should try a stick burner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #244
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Burn.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #245
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Embers, embers, not charcoal...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2017, 03:47 AM   #246
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Some folks can cook on a stick burner and some can’t
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2017, 05:00 AM   #247
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

17 pages.... LMAO.

I don't get it.

Cook on a stickburner if you like. Cook with whatever you want.
Cook with electric or gas or pellets or charcoal or wood. Who really cares? Different people have different situations and different needs. At the end of the day does it really matter? As long as you have a good time and have a cold beer and have thin blue smoke does it matter?

I have always wanted a stickburner. I would love to spend hours tending a fire. Imo it looks to be an art. I have dreamed of owning a reverse flow off set for years.

The thing is that I am a Yankee in the North and it gets cold. A pit in my price range is not going to hold heat well enough. Its going to be a struggle.

Sourcing wood around here would be a pain. Storing wood is the hard part imo. We rebuilt a termite damaged house. Wood would attract them back. Not something I am willing to do. I have got too much into our home to take a risk for food.

An insulated cabinet smoker fits my needs perfectly. Charcoal is easy to store. Wood chunks are easy to store. My cooker is very fuel efficient and has a small foot print but has a huge amount of cooking space. I don't have to baby sit it. I have two kids, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. It runs itself if I get up before the kids wake up I can cook when my wife is at work.

A stick burner in my situation would be idiotic. I can't dedicate the time and money and storage space for one. I don't have room for a wood pile.

I need a set it and forget it cooker. I don't want to have to use a guru. I want large cooking space but a small foot print. I want to be able to cook all day but dedicate myself to being involved in my kids' lives.

Right now my 270 Sumo fits the bill. Bonus is it cooks faster. I can get up at 2am instead of 11pm the day before. It significantly cuts down on cook time. I get a bit of extra sleep, cook great bbq, and I get to be involved in my kids lives.

A stickburner doesn't allow me the time I need. A cabinet does. A stickburner imo is for when I retire.

I don't have a clue if a stickburner puts out better food. My 270 puts out good food and fits my life.

If a stickburner puts out better food then I am going to need super strech pants when I retire.

Whole point is cook on what works for you. As long as you have fun then its all good.
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #248
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Rusty... Let us know how you really feel.
Just kidding. I get what you are saying and that was probably the consensus on the first page or 2. I like that we have gone this far without the mods having to separate us.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #249
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
You should try cooking a brisket with a grate temp of 275º. You'll get through the stall in a fraction of the time.
I started at 225 for a few hours,with water in a pan( in the offset cooker). hit stall at 151° and wouldnt move. then I removed water pan and the internal temp actually dropped a couple of degrees to 149.
I bumped up temp to 275 and it still wouldnt budge. then I bumped to 300, still no go.

finally, I foiled it and cranked up the heat and it finally cooked.

Im starting to notice in my logs that it seems to take a certain temp differential to push through the stall and you will actually see internal temp drop if the cooker goes below a certain temp. even if its 80 degrees hotter than IT

Quote:

I dont want to burst your bubble so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beentown View Post
Embers, embers, not charcoal...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
ah a convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Some folks can cook on a stick burner and some can’t
thank goodness for UDS and the likes else many would be out of this hobby. also thank goodness that not just stick burners win at bbq comps
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #250
JokerBroker

By comparison to your 8 hour stall, I can cook a 15 pound prime brisket trimmed down to 11 pounds in 7 1/2 hours at 275° without wrapping. I don't know what grade of meat you were using but prime obviously cooks faster than a lower grade of meat and in addition to other attributes, a good offset has really good air flow.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #251
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
By comparison to your 8 hour stall, I can cook a 15 pound prime brisket trimmed down to 11 pounds in 7 1/2 hours at 275° without wrapping. I don't know what grade of meat you were using but prime obviously cooks faster than a lower grade of meat and in addition to other attributes, a good offset has really good air flow.
I was using sams club "USDA PRIME" 15 lbs, trimmed to about 13lbs, aged 33 days , dry salt brined two days.

are you using a body mounted gauge or a grate mounted gauge, because my smoker mounted gauge can read 275 and the grate is at 325

Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #252
JokerBroker

Quote:
Are you using a body mounted gauge or a grate mounted gauge, because my smoker mounted gauge can read 275 and the grate is at 325
I use both but the temps I quoted you were at the grate where the meat is. (Though my analog gauges are near the grate so they are pretty close to the digital reading) My BGE was the opposite of what yours shows. My dome thermometer would read 325° when it was only 275° at the grate. My cooks were taking much longer than they should have until I realized I needed to measure grate temps.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #253
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

I should probably add this to the thread as some may find it useful in the future.

In the BBQ with Aaron Franklin series he cooks a lot on the Pecos ,which by our standards is a cheap offset smoker.

I'm a couple of the vids you can see the size of wood chunks he is using. I think this is interesting from a heat management perspective

https://youtu.be/LbzEa_juegs?t=5m53s

Last edited by el luchador; 12-15-2017 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #254
JokerBroker

Yes. Small cooker = small splits

That keeps the temps under control without having to choke the fire.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #255
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Yes. Small cooker = small splits

That keeps the temps under control without having to choke the fire.

But.. but.. but.... small hot fires don't work in ANY offset - or so I read.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=11

1 members found this post helpful.