Kamado Style Grill Recommendations

Bdsankey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am looking at replacing my RecTeq RT-590 with a Kamado style grill for my low-n-slow cooks as well as for my "direct heat" stuff like burgers/grilled chicken etc.

I have a flat top now (adding to sig shortly, been slacking) that does a large part of my cooking. I would like to get something that is quite large as it doesn't seem like there is a major downside as the Kamado's keep their heat extremely well. I do a low-n-slow 1-2 times a week and usually a hot and fast (burgers/chicken/steaks) 2-4 times a week as we love reverse seared steaks etc.

I cook for mainly my wife and I but we do entertain often.

I would be looking at the below (any others?):
1) Big Green Egg XL
2) Kamado Joe "Big Joe"
3) Primo XL

I’ll throw a vote in for the Weber Summit Kamado, I love mine. All the positives of a ceramic Kamado without the downfalls of extended cool down times & dangerous if moved.

I've had my BGE around 12 years now and have had very little issues. Anything that has come up has been covered under its lifetime warranty. I went 11 years without once turning on my oven. Everything goes into the BGE if I'm cooking.

The Kamado Joe is hard to beat with all the accessories that come with the grill and also has a lifetime warranty.

Look around Wisconsin and see if you have any local Eggfests. It's a great way to grab a BGE on a slight discount and still come with a lifetime warranty. Plus you get to see/eat what's coming of them. Hard to hate that.

The shape of the Primo oval was a big seller for me. However, if I were purchasing one now I would really look at the Big Joe due to better accessories, mainly the rotisserie.

I’ll throw a vote in for the Weber Summit Kamado, I love mine. All the positives of a ceramic Kamado without the downfalls of extended cool down times & dangerous if moved.
That's not a bad idea! I know I would be using a fireboard 2 with fan for long cooks overall for an "overnight" cook.

I really like my Large BGE
Good to know!

I've had my BGE around 12 years now and have had very little issues. Anything that has come up has been covered under its lifetime warranty. I went 11 years without once turning on my oven. Everything goes into the BGE if I'm cooking.

The Kamado Joe is hard to beat with all the accessories that come with the grill and also has a lifetime warranty.

Look around Wisconsin and see if you have any local Eggfests. It's a great way to grab a BGE on a slight discount and still come with a lifetime warranty. Plus you get to see/eat what's coming of them. Hard to hate that.
We go to a local landscaping place that puts on "Grilling Guys" once a month and they feature a bunch of different cooking methods/recipes. Their mainstay is always a GMG pellet grill and a BGE XL for most of their cooking. I REALLY like the flavor profile off of the BGE to the point where it has me heavily considering buying something to replace my 590 as I simply want more space (27.5x19 is the 590's grate dims). I find that the biggest issue is height and the odd size of the grates.

The shape of the Primo oval was a big seller for me. However, if I were purchasing one now I would really look at the Big Joe due to better accessories, mainly the rotisserie.

Kamado Joe certainly seems to have a KILLER set up but boy are they pricey. Buy once cry once I guess right?

I should’ve probably named this “grill recommendations”. How are the masterbuilt 1050s holding up?

I have a fireboard drive & haven't had to use it with the Summit but it does have the port from the factory in case you want to use it. There's no need since the cooler is so stable but it's nice to have the option. I had an Akorn Kamado as my first Kamado & wished that I bought the Summit first, it's everything you imagine from a quality Weber product & more.

There’s a rotisserie available for the Primos now. The shape is one of my favorite things about the Primo XL. If I could find a dual walled metal construction grill like the Summit in the shape of the Primo I’d be in grilling nirvana.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the choices you are considering. I had a KJ for a while and loved it. The accessories are top notch.

Kamado Joe redesigned their firebox recently. It's now in 6 or 7 pieces. So if it cracks, they only need to send you however many pieces broke, rather than the entire thing. Smart idea.

I've done overnight cooks on the Big Joe without a controller. Once you dial in the temp, it's not moving as long as you have enough charcoal to last.

I like my Primo.
I did have a lid crack on mine a few winters ago. Primo sent me a new grill. (just the top and bottom)
As JAKs said, the shape sold me. Also the ceramic is thicker on the Primo than on a BGE.
The place I bought mine from had BGE's right next to the Primos. The sales guy was actually the one that pointed it out to me.

I’m not that familiar with kamados and their sizes but Grilla grills Kong is on sale right now. Looks like the grate is only 20.5” so you probably want larger.

Big Green Egg-classic Beautiful Cooker almost functional yard art
Kamado Joe- usually red and IMHO the best inclusive accessory pkg
Primo Oval XL- Oval Shape shortest warranty. Oval Shape excellent
Weber steel- no experience so no help.

Make a list of pros and cons. Warranty (ceramic and steel parts) Color, design, included accessories, cost of accessories, table or nest, portability in cooking area, Should be multiple reviews of each cooker on YouTube, FB, Instagram etc.

Lowe's used to carry the Kamado Joe XL for around a grand and included assembly and delivery. Kicked the tires on it more than once. They're nice.

Country origin of manufacture. Was easy to tell at one time but the lines have blurred.If that's important to you it's worth exploring

Don't be afraid of ceramic especially when under warranty.

Big Green Egg-classic Beautiful Cooker almost functional yard art
Kamado Joe- usually red and IMHO the best inclusive accessory pkg
Primo Oval XL- Oval Shape shortest warranty. Oval Shape excellent
Weber steel- no experience so no help.

Make a list of pros and cons. Warranty (ceramic and steel parts) Color, design, included accessories, cost of accessories, table or nest, portability in cooking area, Should be multiple reviews of each cooker on YouTube, FB, Instagram etc.

Lowe's used to carry the Kamado Joe XL for around a grand and included assembly and delivery. Kicked the tires on it more than once. They're nice.

Country origin of manufacture. Was easy to tell at one time but the lines have blurred.If that's important to you it's worth exploring

Don't be afraid of ceramic especially when under warranty.

The BGE 2XL is very tempting. Ceramic doesn’t worry me at all, is more so making sure I can fit ~4 butts on it as well as enough to do a full packer brisket without having things get cramped.

The list, as of now (yes, there is two at #3):

1) Weber summit
2) Primo XL
3) Masterbuilt 1050
3) BGE XL or 2XL
4) Kamado Joe “Big Joe”

If you have the $$& go Komodo Kamado. If not I believe Big Joe are superior to BGe now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the $$& go Komodo Kamado. If not I believe Big Joe are superior to BGe now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I had Komado money. I’d like to stay around $2000 area.

Having cooked on KJ’s for years, if I were to get back into the kamado world, I would definitely go with the WSCG.

I have a Weber Summit Kamado and love it. It seems to be more responsive to temp adjustments then the ceramic I used to have. I had an off brand ceramic so maybe a KJ or BGE would be more responsive. I would not hesitate to get another Summit Kamado.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back