• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is the sauce really the boss?

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Reaction score
So if ya listen to some people, it's all about the sauce. The sauce is the boss!

But then there's the other side. You only need sauce to cover up the taste of bad BBQ.

And if you are a sauce person, what makes the sauce for you? Sweet? Heat? Thin? Thick?

I've always been a no sauce person, but I do put on a light glaze for guests that I know like sauce. After all, I'm cooking for my friends, not for me.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

I am more of a glaze person when it comes to ribs. I dont care for dry rub ribs.

Same with chicken. I prefer a glaze after the skin crisps up.

I'm in the camp that if you cook it right you don't need sauce. But that's probably a regional thing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm in the camp that if you cook it right you don't need sauce. But that's probably a regional thing.

Agree, but do you glaze?

My go to glaze lately is Mike's hot honey.

Over the last few years I've changed my preference from using sauces nearly all of the time to using it sparingly now. I like having a variety of sauces on hand but I do like a good dry rub rack of ribs etc.

I’m from Kansas City, so I “like” sauce. It’s more of a compliment to the meat for me than masking it though. Often served on the side. Depends on the target audience of my cook.

I generally don't look for sauce with my Q, but I do like to try all the Q sauces. If I go to a new BBQ restaurant (rather, if I'm dragged to one..) I'll get a sammich and likely try a bit of each of their sauces, but ideally eat most of it without.

But, people like sauces! With my general cooking, the sauces I make seem to get the most compliments. I don't make anything overly complex, but things like a korean bbq sauce can really set off a dish.

In my fridge will almost always be some version of SBR- it works and is a pretty safe pick for most people I cook for.
On ribs, I tend to thin it a bit and use as a glaze- not a fan of "gloppy/thick" sauce.
On pulled pork sandwiches, it is mainly something to spread on the bun - almost like a mayo or catsup.
On brisket sandwiches- no sauce- but I do like a slather of chipotle mayo on the buns.

Generally won't sauce chicken- unless it's requested. Not a fan of the grate clean up after sauced chicken.

To me the right sauce is like icing/frosting on a cake. Most people are used to sauce with their BBQ just like they expect most cakes to have have icing/frosting on them. Unlike cake, sauce is served on the side and I'd give you various choices.

I believe that good BBQ may not need sauce but the folks that want sauce are welcome to enjoy their meal the way they like it.

I waffle back and forth between sauce and no sauce on ribs and other pork cooks. Never sauce beef. And with chicken we always make up some form of Alabama white sauce. I can drink that stuff while lounging on our deck.

In my very humble and uneducated opinion I think some sauce applications can enhance the flavor of the meat. Living in North GA, I always use vinegar sauce on pulled pork and white sauce on my pulled chicken sandwiches. The vinegar cuts some of the fattiness of the pork, I think. I do keep a bottle of Williams Bros sauce handy for anyone that wants to use sauce on anything I cook. I think it's a good all round sauce. It's not too sticky or sweet and just enough heat to let you know it's there.

I like a light application of sauce on ribs - just enough to kick the taste up a notch. I like to taste the meat. I don't sauce any other meats.

My $0.03 (inflation-adjusted),

I don't sauce beef (Let beef be the beef!).

I make a thin and acidic homemade sauce that I use to lightly glaze ribs and sauce pulled pork. IMHO, the acidity helps balance the fattiness of pork. I know that a lot of people like sweet sauces, but I do not care for the myself (e.g. Blues Hog).

I do like to sauce chicken. Typically with a Memphis-style sauce, but I have been playing with white sauce after a recent trip to Alabama.

Agree, but do you glaze?

My go to glaze lately is Mike's hot honey.

I don't glaze anything except pork ribs. My guests seem to like them with a light coat of honey about 30 minutes before pulling. I need to know more about this hot honey...

I pretty much never sauce beef

My go to method for ribs i hit them with a very thin glaze

Pulled pork and whole hog i do like some sauce on.

Chicken most of the time I don't sauce but sometimes i do like some sauce on chicken.

The only thing i'll use the thick liquid smoke grocery store sauces for is a condiment on things like chicken strips. For smoked meats i like thinner more vinegar based sauces when i use any.

Back