Is the sauce really the boss?

A diabetic diagnosis and going keto to combat it pretty much killed sauces for me. At first I missed them, but I have found it made me up my cooking game and I enjoy the food more now without it personally.

Maybe I would not say that if not for brown sugar replacement Swerve for when I cook ribs though. That was the one thing where I needed that sweet hint of flavor.

I like sauce. Goes as good with BBQ as it does with fries or toast... I like BBQ with or without sauce. I do not think that sauce is only for bad BBQ. Sauced ribs and chicken is good. For me the sauce cannot be super sweet. It needs to be balanced or more spicy and tangy and thin, definitely not too thick. Same with putting it on food. If it is on food, I want it to be thinly glazed, not heavily slathered, and cooked a little on the meat or caramelized.

I had an argument with someone from KC that said "it is called smoked meat unless you out sauce on it, them it is BBQ". We disagreed respectfully.

Sauce on the side for dippin'.
Other than when I cooked comps I don't sauce or glaze anything.
I'll provide it on the side but I won't pre-sauce my BBQ.
That being said I do like a spicy, thick, kinda sweet sauce (Big Butz No Butz) on my pulled pork sammies with some cole slaw on top.

if you put ketchup on a hot dog your either a heathen or a child under 8
I just learned something new. :heh:

According to hot dog etiquette published by the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, nobody above 18 should slather their dogs with ketchup. They’re not the only ones who think so—Barack Obama was once quoted saying ketchup on hot dogs is “not acceptable past the age of 8.”

Last edited:
I don't like any sauce on brisket, unless I am doing burnt ends.
As for pork, I will use a sweeter, thicker sauce for competition, but for my taste, I want a prominent taste of vinegar, and I am happy.

I use sauce on everything.
eggs
tacos
burritos
sandwiches
Even BBQ.

But it aint bbq sauce. It's fermented pepper sauce. Peppers, salt, water, and time. :thumb:

As for bbq sauce. I don't need no sweet with my meat.
You can quote me on that.

At the end of the day, who cares?

When you cook, know your audience.

As long as the meal was enjoyed, it's all good. Everyone's taste is different. :-D

I'm with John on this one.
Typically I serve sauce on the side;
(1) to allow one to taste several types.
(2) to let the individual control the amount of sauce they prefer.

I do use sauce as an extremely light glaze when grilling pork chops and chicken. Grilled white meat can benefit from a thin tangy-sweet glaze to compliment the natural flavors of the meat. Again additional sauce is served on the side if desired.

The other side of the coin is that I personally do not like the sickishly-sweet store bought sauce sold in our area grocery chains. I will say that HEB in Texas has some good sauces with a good selection of variety, I always bring a mixed case home with me when I visit Fort Worth.

Other than that I order my sauces online, to avoid the overly sweet.

Back