"Keto Inspired" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, Feb. 22nd!!

Please accept the below pic as my entry to the Keto Inspired Throwdown

Cook: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289705

Ribeye Carne Asada Tacos

8mxuZMah.jpg

Just a quick reminder as it relates to what you can and can't include in your entry per Chingador's category description:

Everything You Can Eat On The Keto Diet

[FONT=&quot]You can make anything you want, but you MUST choose from the "always" list in this link for everything you use in your entry, so items from the "sometimes" and "never" list are strictly off limits. Finally, no rubs and or sauces that contain sugar. While this is an open category, standard Throwdown rules apply, of course.[/FONT]

Oh well, I guess I get another Dilly Bar since I didn't bother reading the list. But then Delish is not a website I would go to for advice on keto. I definately disagree with some of the items listed on their sometimes sections. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, onions are fine. Spaghetti squash is one of the keto staples to replace regular pasta and eggs are another keto staple. Nothing wrong with white meat poultry, except for the fact is has no flavor and not much fat.

For example, my Keto individual meatloafs for each serving was: 9g net carbs, 67g fat, 56g protein A little high on the protein side, but a perfectly acceptable keto meal even though it had egg & onion in it. :noidea:

And remember, keto is not a high protein diet, it's medium protein. So even though the Delish list lists meat/seafood in the always list, eating too much protein can throw you out of ketosis. Everything in moderation.

But hey, rules is rules, can't be making exceptions. :thumb:

Last edited:
Oh well, I guess I get another Dilly Bar since I didn't bother reading the list. But then Delish is not a website I would go to for advice on keto. I definately disagree with some of the items listed on their sometimes sections. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, onions are fine. Spaghetti squash is one of the keto staples to replace regular pasta and eggs are another keto staple. Nothing wrong with white meat poultry, except for the fact is has no flavor and not much fat.

For example, my Keto individual meatloafs for each serving was: 9g net carbs, 67g fat, 56g protein A little high on the protein side, but a perfectly acceptable keto meal even though it had egg & onion in it. :noidea:

And remember, keto is not a high protein diet, it's medium protein. So even though the Delish list lists meat/seafood in the always list, eating too much protein can throw you out of ketosis. Everything in moderation.

But hey, rules is rules, can't be making exceptions. :thumb:

Valid observations and good points all around, Andy. In retrospect, we should have been less restrictive and also allowed items on the "sometimes" list, since they don't fall too far out of bounds.

For this reason, we'll let the voters decide...

My not well received joke made me think I had to get in. So I made a steak. That said I can't use Photobucket apparently and I haven't found a work around for what I do use so just know that I was here with y'all in spirit. It was a ribeye with scratch rub minus the bad stuff, grilled King Trumpets, and charred garlic broccoli.

Well crap. I guess I would have been DQ'd for broccoli anyway. Let's just say I stick to my original attitude about this. The last thing I want to do is bellow the internet flames of debate but what reasonable "diet" sometimes disallows broccoli, carrots, ginger, and onions?!

I cook plenty of recipes that are actually keto, but hardly any that follow that insane list. I'll just post a photo of intermittent fasting instead....

Back