MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats. Been waiting for my stumps since September. Might cancel and get one of these

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #32
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Beautiful smoker. I am looking at a gravity feed smoker and the Assassin is at the top of my list. Is their a separate port for running temp probes into the cook chamber? One of the pictures showed what may have been one. Did you get the guru with the cooker? How many steam pans fit on each rack? Sorry for all the questions. Enjoy your new cooker.

Donk
Donk, yep there is a separate temp probe hole, and it is shown on one of the pics by the handle.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h208/treytexag/Assassin%20Initial%20Seasoning%20March%202012/AssassinSmokerInitialSeasoningMarch2013-1012.jpg

Steam pans, don't know the answer to that question. I believe the grates are 23 1/2 X 23 1/2 inches to fit into the 24X24 inch box. Does that help?

I've only done an intial season on it so far, and then I immediately left the state with the family. So it's sitting in my garage miles away, patiently awaiting it's inaugural brisket run!!

I'm looking forward to cooking in it soon.

Last edited by treytexag; 03-14-2013 at 10:18 PM..
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #33
treytexag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
Congrats. Been waiting for my stumps since September. Might cancel and get one of these
The quality of the construction is impressive. I've got a couple of Engineering degrees, so I tend to look at mechanical devices / tools / toys with a "discerning" eye, whether it be a new car or as in this case, a new smoker.

I don't believe you will be dissappointed in the quality of the Assassin. Stumps I hear are awesome smokers too - don't know what your current wait time is. I had my new Assassin delivered to my home in approximately 21 calendar days, and I'm in Texas, Jeff Conley is in Macon Georgia.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #34
treytexag

Quote:
Beautiful smoker. I am looking at a gravity feed smoker and the Assassin is at the top of my list. Is their a separate port for running temp probes into the cook chamber? One of the pictures showed what may have been one. Did you get the guru with the cooker? How many steam pans fit on each rack? Sorry for all the questions. Enjoy your new cooker.

Donk
Donk, sorry I missed your guru question. Yes, Jeff Conley sent a brand new BBQ Guru with fan and attachment piece that fits on the Assassin. I haven't run it yet, but will soon.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #35
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Astonishingly beautifully crafted cooker.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
Donk
Found some matches.

Thanks for the info. You are a Good man putting family first. Must be hard leaving your new toy in the garage! I've just put an Assassin on my Christmas list. Damn you Dave Ramsey! I don't know if I can wait that long.

Donk
Donk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #37
treytexag

Quote:
Must be hard leaving your new toy in the garage!

Donk
As you might imagine - BRUTAL!!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
Perfect Rack BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

We just got ours this week. The thing is unreal. Just one problem though....the assassin sticker was put on very crooked and is full of air bubbles. Other than that she is incredible. Can't wait to season her on st. Patrick's day while sipping on a few Guinness

Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #39
Perfect Rack BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Does the BBQ Guru fan just snap in to the end of the ball valve or was there supposed to be an attachment to connect it? It fits in the opening but not sure that it will stay secure

Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #40
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Nice looking smoker. How far apart are the racks?

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #41
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice looking cooker!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #42
Donk
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Rack BBQ View Post
We just got ours this week. The thing is unreal. Just one problem though....the assassin sticker was put on very crooked and is full of air bubbles. Other than that she is incredible. Can't wait to season her on st. Patrick's day while sipping on a few Guinness
That's a bummer about the sticker. Can you remove it without messing up the paint?

I wonder if you can order one with the sticker not attached?

Donk
Donk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #43
treytexag

Quote:
That's a bummer about the sticker. Can you remove it without messing up the paint?

I wonder if you can order one with the sticker not attached?

Donk
I'd call Jeff or Robin. My guess is, and this is a guess, they'll recommend you carefully pull off the old sticker and they'll send you a new one with instructions for properly installing it.

Again, I'm willing to bet a Coke that they won't leave you hanging on this.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #44
treytexag

Matt and Perfect Rack: Currently I'm about 600 miles from my smoker three states over on Spring Break with the fam. So, I don't know about the guru or the rack spacing. I'll be home tomorrow and check on both those.

Perfect Rack, I was hoping the BBQ guru install was a simple screw together affair - but I did not play with it during my initial seasoning run. I did get it out of the box and look at it, but didn't do that while I was near my Assassin to "see" how it fits on the open ended valve.

Did you figure it out by chance?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #45
treytexag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Rack BBQ View Post
In all candor, it really does appear to be fairly "robustly" built. I'm hoping I'll be able to get years of smoking from it before I have to repair / retrofit parts. Only time will tell.

Tags
assassin, smoker