MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Question Why do people think Baby Backs have more meat than spares?

Here recently I have heard the statement that the reason baby backs are so popular is because they have more meat than the spares. Now unless I'm mistaken I think it is the other way around. But I can't tell you how many people I've talked to over the last few weeks that say they prefer BB's over spares because there is more meat on the BB's.

My brother in law was over and we had ribs and he couldn't get over how meaty the "Baby Backs" were. I told him they weren't baby backs they were spares. He was shocked. I think a lot of people assume that these restaurants serve baby backs because they are "meatier" rather than simply quicker to cook.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I think the perception comes from most spares aren't cooked well and the fat isn't
rendered much and certainly not completely. While you can get BB's that haven't had the fat rendered much, they start with less fat so there's "more meat" per bite (well, really less fat).

Anyway, that's my conjecture.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think restaurant advertisements make people think baby backs are better than spares. "I want my baby backs baby backs baby backs!" I think the truth is, baby backs are cheaper for restaurants to prepare and cook than spares so restaurant advertisements tell us all how great BBs are.

I was in Costco recently when a guy came over to the meat counter and was looking for baby backs while I was looking for spares. He asked what the difference was and I explained that spares have more meat and many people think more flavor than BBs but BBs cook a little quicker and are a little less meaty. He grabbed some spares and walked over to his wife and explained to her what I said to him. She put her finger in his face and told him "GO GET BABY BACKS!" Evidently TV commercials convinced her that BBs are cool and spares are for us poor hillbillies. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Personally, I like either BBs or spares. It depends on what's on sale.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Spares usually have more meat between the bones because they're longer, but BBR's tend to be thicker. The meat to bone ratio is much higher for BBR's than spares. Give me BBR's all day long...
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

It depends on the guy with the knife. BBs around here are always cut more uniform and quite likely to have shiners. Spares may have a thin end and definitely have more bone and more meat. BBs to show Spares to win!
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that it's more to do with marketing and sales in the restaurants. They can charge more of a premium price for a rack of BB's and as you said, they cook faster, so they make more money per rack. I personally like to cook untrimmed spares at home. Much meatier and better flavor in my opinion!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I think that it's more to do with marketing and sales in the restaurants. They can charge more of a premium price for a rack of BB's and as you said, they cook faster, so they make more money per rack. I personally like to cook untrimmed spares at home. Much meatier and better flavor in my opinion!

+ 1 untrimmed spares at home.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Interesting.....never considered smoking untrimmed spares (of course I haven't been smoking that long). I guess people just eat around those bones, or cartilage, or whatever that stuff is?
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
Interesting.....never considered smoking untrimmed spares (of course I haven't been smoking that long). I guess people just eat around those bones, or cartilage, or whatever that stuff is?

Yeah, it actually falls pretty much in line with the bone when you cut the ribs. So it's very easy to eat around.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
Spares usually have more meat between the bones because they're longer, but BBR's tend to be thicker. The meat to bone ratio is much higher for BBR's than spares.
Yeah, I've noticed that too. At least with all the ones I've been getting from my supplier.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
deepsouth

i used to be a firm believer in baby backs, but lately i've come around and prefer spares. plus, if you get the untrimmed spares, you get all the goodness that you cut off and cook with the ribs.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
long haired hippie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Gimme spares "3 and under"...trim 'em up St. Louis style and I'm in heaven.....
long haired hippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
JD McGee

BB fan here...I like 'em thick and juicy...don't care for skinny ribs.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Sometimes baby backs are marketed as "meaty" and the butcher has left a lot of the pork loin attached to the baby backs. Of course this works out great for the grocer since baby backs are selling for $3+/lb. and pork loin is selling for less than $2/lb.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

A well trimmed rack of spares doesn't give you that much more meat than a rack of BB's. I prefer to cook loin backs (BB's) because I can get the loin meat more tender, more consistently than spares.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote