• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Offset Pork Shoulder cook: in progress (Pron)

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Fired up the offset for my first extended cook with it. I've done a 4.5 hour Turkey smoke but nothing longer than that. Fired it up around 0-dark-thirty with a bit of unlit K, followed by a lit chimney of K and two cherry splits.

Been aiming for hot and fast this time so trying to keep temps around 300. Learning that it is harder to keep temps locked it with an all wood fire (the K was burned off long ago) but I love the tinkering that it takes to keep the fire just right.

So far burning nice and clean, at this point I am 5.5 hours in and the two shoulder pieces are still in the stall. That is fine, I figured at least 10 hours, even going hot and fast. 14 lbs. total between two pieces so each is around 7 lbs. No injection this time, foiled at 165 IT and sprayed with flat Cherry Pepsi (no apple juice in the house).

Got hungry around 8:30 so I made a Firebox Breakfast. Threw two uncooked brats into the smoker for about 40 minutes. Then got a frying pan from the kitchen and made eggs and brats with butter bread and OJ. Delicious. Enjoy the PRON more to come when finished and pulled. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Looks like you're having a great day! I also enjoy managing my fire - keeps me focused on cooking. Looking forward to more pron - thanks for posting.

Hey those are some great looking shoulders, nice size. How many you feeding?:p

Costco sells boneless pork shoulders for a decent price. They always come in two separate pieces (boston butt and picnic?). One is always a little smaller than the other. These two totaled just under 14# so one is probably around 6.5 the other maybe 7.5. I can find them there as big as 15# total. Tonight just feeding the family for dinner. Pulled Pork Burritos (one of my personal favorites). An out of town buddy is stopping by later in the evening for some beers. Probably will make some PP nachos for him. You going to stop by too?:-D

Offset pork shoulder - thought you were cookin' them pork collars for a second! But seriously, the next time you fix sausage and eggs for breakfast - CALL ME!! Those look great!

pron, pork ready to come off the smoker, into the cooler

Hot and Fast is the way to go! Normally running the drum, I would have had these two shoulder pieces on for at least 12 to 16 hours. I tried my darnest to keep my temps around 300* give or take above or below. The IT on the bigger of the two was hitting 203* just shy of 9 hours from the time it hit the grate. Both of them were probing like butta. And from the chunk or two of bark I hit up before wrapping and coolering I'm thinking it might be the best pulled pork I've made yet.

From about hour 2 on the K was gone and I was cooking with nothing but cherry splits. Added a split or two approx. every 40 minutes or so. Played with the vents and split size all day trying to lock in temps.

More pron to come after pulling these beauties.

Last edited:
I have never had pork turn out this tender and juicy. The shoulders just fell apart in my hands. I took them up to 203 IT before pulling out of the pit. I foil wrapped them for about 3 hours. I still needed thin gloves to pull them with because of the heat. The bark was dark but very tender. Normally on the UDS I go with the fat cap down and the bottom portion gets too tough to eat and is discarded. The only stuff I tossed from this cook were the large chunks of fat. The meat just fell apart in my hands. I never expected pulled pork at these temps (270 to 350 during a couple temp spikes) to be this unbelievably tender. In the back of my mind I doubted (despite the experts) that it would turn out this good. And I only spent 9 hours tending the pit instead of 12 to 16. I had time to completely clean up my pit for the next cook immediately after I had them foil wrapped. I LOVE HOT AND FAST!!!

Last edited:
Back