• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cutting board recommendations

1FUNVET

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I want to get a larger cutting board. What type of material do you recommend? I have always used wood, and was considering bamboo but now my wife said she saw where wood is not sanitary compared to other materials. What say the Brethren ?

Without getting into the whole debate, I will just say

1 vote for bamboo.......I use it and love it.

I've got a big Boos made of Maple, I think, that I love. My wife got me a fairly large Ming Tsai board from Sam's that is Bamboo that I use daily and really, really like. I've had various plastic boards that I used for chicken but over time they developed too many cuts where bacteria could hide, and sanding them down was too much of a hassle. The disposable paper boards that are so popular with Competition BBQ cooks are now my go-to board for chicken at home as well. 30 cents a piece, or something like that, is a bargain in comparison to the time it would take to clean a wood or bamboo board while prepping a meal.

I use acrylic, similar to the rubbermaid brand for food service.

I got mine at Wally World for about $20 (I think).

You can throw it in the dishwasher if that is a concern.

It has a drip edge to catch all those lovely juices.

Here is something similar to what I got. I am guessing the size is 16" X 24":

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11948864

Disposable one. Its just that easy and should fit the bill every time.

Costco 1/2 x 18 x 24...$12.00...last forever! :p

161094b.jpg

wood, or bambo. Hey, people say that the wood holds bacteria. I got that, heard that. But i am not a slob, I clean my stuff. I think that recommendation is made for those who may fit the 'lowest common denominator' segment of our population. sometimes, crazy rules are made so that those too stupid to clean up after themselves, wont buy it. thank a lawyer.

I prefer the Epicurean boards of late. I really like Boos blocks, but, they are really pricey now, and the knock-offs are not as good. The Epicurean boards are fast, clean and durable.

I love my wood board. I use the thin flexible plastic boards on top of my wood board for poultry. I give my wood board a wipe down with bleach & water after use & then wash as normal.

Health inspector said proper cleaning of a wood board makes it more sanitary then the plastic boards. Key to that is the proper cleaning, if you do that, I like a good maple board. Sure saves the knives!

My wife says my 3" thick Boos monster board is too heavy and can't lift it off the counter. Too bad for her.
I like it because it is nicer than any fine furniture we own. I oil it regularly with food grade mineral oil.

Most comps will not allow wood cutting boards. I actually prefer them if given proper care. Just throwing that out. No pros or cons.

If I could find a giant wood board that would'nt break the bank that's what I would do..Currently I have the acrylic. They slip all over the place unless you put some towels under.

If I could find a giant wood board that would'nt break the bank that's what I would do..Currently I have the acrylic. They slip all over the place unless you put some towels under.

I hate when that happens. LOL

Currently I have the acrylic. They slip all over the place unless you put some towels under.

What you want is that material that you put in tool boxes or material for lining cupboard cabinets to prevent slippage. Throw a piece of that stuff underneath your cutting board and she is solid as a rock. Once you try that you will never be without it again...

I like wood (maple, I think) best, but requires lots of cleaning. Mainly I like it because
it's forgiving to the knife (has a little GIVE in it). HATE glass or rock. Otherwise, I use
the plastic ones...

Where do you find the paper throw-away ones?

Back