Hattie B's Hot Chicken - West Nashville, TN

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I know it's not BBQ... but, it's got good Southern roots... and "Nashville Hot Chicken" has become all the rage in recent years... partially thanks to the Mind of a Chef TV series.

We needed a lunch stop when we were enroute between the NC mountains and Fort Smith, AR. Nashville was perfectly placed, and we've meant to stop for some hot chicken before.

We were the second party in line at opening time. Friendly wait staff at registers and throughout the restaurant made sure we were well cared-for. Can’t emphasize this enough. The manager and at least 5 other guys stopped by the table to check on us.

We sampled the "Small White" and "Small Dark" plates with medium and hot spice levels.

eUGjcwPh.jpg

kBiHoH5h.jpg

The bird was very tender and the breading was oh so crispy crunchy and wonderfully spicy flavorful. The medium was perfect for the CINCHOUSE. while the hot was on par to a half-step low of what I expected. Next time, it’s “Damn Hot” time.

Our munchkin hit a Southern (no spice) chicken tender with some pimento mac & cheese on the side. OK... honestly, she hit the mac & cheese HARD and dabbled in the chicken arena.

Pimento Mac & Cheese - Get it! Devour it! I'm not a pimento cheese guy (or, at least I wasn't until we tried the Buxton Hall smoked pimento cheese... in a previous review).... but day-um, this was good!
Fries - Meh. Pretty good crunch, but begging for a bit more spice or some such.
Collards - Like collards should be. Not bitter. Stems remain. Could've used some vinegar and/or some hot sauce.

Need Gluten Free option? They can grill up their tenders for you instead of the fried version.

Great lunch stop. Glad we made it before it got crazy busy. 40 min later, the line is well out the front door!

I've been to Hattie B's a few times when in Nashville. It's one of my favorite spots when I'm there. I've yet to find BBQ that blows me away up there, but the chicken is something else. :)

I'm another fan of Hattie B's for hot chicken.

I've been to Hattie B's a few times when in Nashville. It's one of my favorite spots when I'm there. I've yet to find BBQ that blows me away up there, but the chicken is something else. :)

My favorite BBQ place in Nashville is Martin's. But if I could only go to one of these it would be Hattie B's.

I've yet to find BBQ that blows me away up there, but the chicken is something else. :)

My favorite BBQ place in Nashville is Martin's.

I thought I reported this here, but I guess I only did so on Titter, so many of you didn't see my Teets.

Blows Me Away is a very strong term. Honestly, I've never been Blown Away by BBQ. I've had great bbq. I've had good BBQ. But never Blown Away.

Side note: I can now eat BBQ at restaurants. For a decade, I always would match it up against my own. I always found fault in the restaurant BBQ, same as I find in my own. Coulda done this better, coulda done that. But now, I can eat BBQ almost anywhere and still find a redeeming quality. I'm not picky any longer.

That being said, I went to a couple Nashville places last year, Edley's and Puckett's Grocery. Puckett's was recommended by Frognot and it didn't disappoint. Good eats, but no pics to dissect.

I'm attaching a few shots, hope they come through.

Edleys, is the BBQ pics, there's menu cover but no menu from Puckett's. I didnt get to Martin's, but will be in Nashville in October.

Other pics are Hattie B's Chicken, a great bartender at Swinging Door, and The Ryman Auditorium, the Parthenon, and me with Johnny Cash

I would encourage everyone to go to Nashville at least once. I'm going again in a few weeks and might make it an annual thing. 30,000 people a month are moving there. It is an insanely "hot" destination.

I don't care for country music. I LOVED Nashville.

We're looking for property on the outer ridges of the area, we like it that much.

Attachments

• DLwCbfVV4AAwtur.jpg
    DLwCbfVV4AAwtur.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DLwCa25UMAA2oIl.jpg
    DLwCa25UMAA2oIl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DLvE05aU8AAl6QE.jpg
    DLvE05aU8AAl6QE.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DLtz6OtUIAcPH6Z.jpg
    DLtz6OtUIAcPH6Z.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DLrEeFJUMAARDsl.jpg
    DLrEeFJUMAARDsl.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 116
  • DLq-OuhVoAA4tS3.jpg
    DLq-OuhVoAA4tS3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DLq-zdtWsAArFuS.jpg
    DLq-zdtWsAArFuS.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Nashville Bartender.jpg
    Nashville Bartender.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 118
Did you go to that famous bathroom down there? At a hotel I think. Haven't made it down there yet, but plan to soon. How's the weather there in the winter?

Love me some Hattie B's! Bit of a drive for me for lunch, but Bishops (the family behind the B :) ) serves the chicken. In a meat and 3 right by me in Franklin. Spicy and delicious!

I love living near Nashville, about 20-25 minutes from downtown in a great suburb, but the golf and BBQ aren't that great. Not a lot of good public courses and only a few decent BBQ options. Memphis got BBQ and we got Hot Chicken,which is great but not as repeatable as some good Q.

So I just make my own BBQ and enjoy everything else :)

Blows Me Away is a very strong term. Honestly, I've never been Blown Away by BBQ. I've had great bbq. I've had good BBQ. But never Blown Away.

I have. Truth BBQ in Brenham, TX and Hays Co. BBQ in San Marcos, TX both come to mind right away. There are others, but I don't want to go on forever. I have definitely been blown away with good BBQ, just not outside of Texas.

I went to a couple Nashville places last year, Edley's and Puckett's Grocery. Puckett's was recommended by Frognot and it didn't disappoint. Good eats, but no pics to dissect.

I've been to Puckett's several times (both locations). The Franklin location is one of my favorite places to visit in that area. I love it, but I don't really consider it a BBQ joint. They serve other things that I prefer (their fried green tomatoes are outstanding).

I would encourage everyone to go to Nashville at least once. I'm going again in a few weeks and might make it an annual thing. 30,000 people a month are moving there. It is an insanely "hot" destination.
I don't care for country music. I LOVED Nashville.

Same here. Definitely one of my favorite places to visit, and if I had to live anywhere in the world other than Texas it would be Tennessee.

I will be in Nashville Thurs 10/18, want to try Princes for Hot Chicken

Will be in Pigeon forge 10/19-10/22 (early exit on 22). Other than 10/20 at a wedding, I'm free.

Any TNFo's want to meat up?

Nashville is a one night stopover this time. I expect to do music, beer, and maybe BBQ on the strip, but that is optional.

One of my family's favorite stops when in Nashville - went twice over the span of about 4 days just a couple of weeks ago.

If you have any grilled cheese fans, check out the Grilled Cheeserie in Hiilsboro Village. For breakfast, give Biscuit Love a try.

Sounds awesome! Got an old friend in Hendersonville. Would like to try that.

Hattie B's is on my radar too.

I've heard about it before but then is was also covered on Episode 6 of Ugly Delicious in what I thought was a very sensiteve and well presented peice not only on the chicken, but in race relations.

It certainly made me think... about the chicken too.

I'd love to go there.

Cheers!

Back