Competition Wings

Right on Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey all

Doing a local contest hosted by How to BBQ Right in September. We have to do ribs, steak, and wings. Blind box only.

Looking for suggestions around the wings entry.

What level of heat is appropriate? And I've heard and seen some folks use corn starch to help with the crispiness. Anyone know about that?

Done wings at home but competition is obviously different.

Any help would be appreciated

I haven't done wings at a comp, but I do them regularly at home and definitely use the cornstarch to help the skin out, works fantastic!

As far as flavor, I would personally keep it the same or similar to my normal competition chicken recipe. Just because they are wings does not mean they need to be buffalo style wings, just my take on it...

Using corn starch will give a look similar to frying, if that's the look you're after, it pry would be a great idea to inform the Rep early on so if challenged by the judges he would be able to explain they are indeed legal. Search kettle fried chicken.
Or you can baste them with your favorite sauce, (Blues Hog Original cut with Blues Hog Tennessee Red)
Also, in my opinion "party wing pieces" are far less exciting than whole wings in presentation and taste. I clip the tips of whole wings and cut the web to make separating while judging easier for the judge.
Walked and scored high in my two Masters contests.
Ed

Oh and I heard from judges what a refreshing change in that entry!

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback Dave and ModelMaker.

I don't think the corn starch look will be an issue since it's a local non-sanctioned contest.

About the web. I was planning to keep the wings whole and toss in my favorite bbq sauce, but i typically use the web to check the wing's doneness. Wonder if I could still keep them in tact and snip them after cooking

Any thoughts on that?

I assume the corn starch is of a light sprinkle type of application so to change the skin's pH in promotion of the Maillard reaction. Is that correct ?

Back