This PBC appreciation thread single-handedly got me to join the Brethren. I got mine for Father's Day and have got a lot of use out of it since. In fact, my wife is really pretty tired of hearing me talk about it . . . so now my 7 year-old and 11 year-old get to hear how great it is.

Seems like a really long time for butts under 8lbs. What temp are you smoking at or do you even monitor? Pork Butt can handle much higher temps. I usually do mine between 275-300. Last 9lb butts I smoked less than 9 hours and never wrapped until I pulled them to hold.

Don't I know it. I've seen a couple other posts from PBC in the Pacific Northwest have issues with temps. I have consistently had problems with temps in my PBC. I started monitoring after the first cook when my ribs weren't done anywhere near advertised time. Usually they settle in around 212, even with a fresh bag. For this cook I tried Kingsford comp, hearing that they run hot, and Costco had a great deal on it.

After the butt dropping, the barrel of course spiked up to 400. I put the butts on after closing up the barrel and letting it drop to 350. Then I watched temps slowly fall all the way to 207 when I finally wrapped, internal temp of 155. I kept cracking the lid to get temps to about 250. I have my vent set about halfway even though I'm at 300' ASL.

I think the constant lid cracking and having the bottom vent open more is why I ran out of fuel? I haven't called Noah/PBC yet to see if they had any thoughts.

I'm sure you know the correct vent setting for your elevation, but since many of this thread's pics have disappeared over time, I thought I'd re-post the vent position diagrams for general use.

picture.php

Here's another solution to the "what to do with the hot lid" question -- and one that might actually be useful for other PBC-ers.

(Yes, I tend to obsess about dumb stuff like this. Wish I were this OCD about... I don't know... yardwork, planning for retirement, personal hygene, etc...)

Anyhoo, it's a freebie: A piece of scrap metal bent into a hook and drilled with holes corresponding to the lid handle. Attach to the underside of the lid with the existing screws/nuts as you remount the handle.

Now the lid can be hung quickly and easily on the side handle or the rim of the grill without having to rotate the lid.

And all the 'redneck craftsmanship' is hidden from sight.

I *promise* I'll stop now... :wacko:

Lol......you crack me up Pete! :laugh:

Nice mods ideas too!

Hi guys- general question on holding ribs. I've got 3 kids and usually have tons to do on weekends making it hard get cooks coordinated with dinner time. Typically, I like to start early and hold while I go take care of other stuff. I've never tried to do a long hold with ribs. Do any of you guys regularly hold ribs and for how long? Any tips?

Hi guys- general question on holding ribs. I've got 3 kids and usually have tons to do on weekends making it hard get cooks coordinated with dinner time. Typically, I like to start early and hold while I go take care of other stuff. I've never tried to do a long hold with ribs. Do any of you guys regularly hold ribs and for how long? Any tips?

Not regularly with BBQ, but when I was in an apartment I would slow cook and then use the broiler to set sauce and get a thin crust. I would think you could hold them in a cooler for a while and then pop back in a broiler to reset the bark. They may end up more fall off the bone than you want, but that's the way my wife likes them anyway.

I'm sure you know the correct vent setting for your elevation, but since many of this thread's pics have disappeared over time, I thought I'd re-post the vent position diagrams for general use.

Yes, and at 300' I started with 1/4 open, but running cool from the start, I opened more, based on some suggestions earlier in this thread. I'm not sure it had much effect other than heating up quicker when opening the lid.

Got my newest addition. Would like to know though is this still made in the usa?

Attachments

• 20170707_175614.jpg
    20170707_175614.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 112
New PBC. Full basket of coals minus 36 for the chimney. Lit coals and 20 min later dumped into PBC and put on the lid. I live at 3,000 feet so I went with 3/8 open. As you can see, after dumping in coals and closing the lid, the temp spiked above 360. Didn't come down much at all after 15 minutes so I closed the bottom vent completely. Took a while and at 290 degrees, I opened it up to 1/4 and added two chicken halfs. As you guys can see, it spiked back to 337. I am now a little over 1 hour in and it's still 335ish. Outside temp is 108 today.

Any idea why the PBC is behaving like this?

Thanks

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Going to cook a full brisket tomorrow. First one in the PBC. Two questions for you brisket veterans. Point up or down? Wrap or not? Thanks.

Had family in town from Australia over the long weekend, thought I should feed them some Q. Was a busy weekend, so only just now had a chance to post. 6 racks of ribs, all rubbed, 4 sauced as well. Could have gone a little longer, but came out pretty well overall. Enjoyed by all.

XWetpem.jpg

dZl3zea.jpg

New PBC. Full basket of coals minus 36 for the chimney. Lit coals and 20 min later dumped into PBC and put on the lid. I live at 3,000 feet so I went with 3/8 open. As you can see, after dumping in coals and closing the lid, the temp spiked above 360. Didn't come down much at all after 15 minutes so I closed the bottom vent completely. Took a while and at 290 degrees, I opened it up to 1/4 and added two chicken halfs. As you guys can see, it spiked back to 337. I am now a little over 1 hour in and it's still 335ish. Outside temp is 108 today.

Any idea why the PBC is behaving like this?

Thanks

Sounds like your lighting correctly....Where's your temp probe resting in the PBC?

Here's how I hang mine....

Attachments

• 20161022_162533.jpg
    20161022_162533.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 130
Hanging between the two rebar rods about an inch or two below.

I would keep the vent cap at 1/4 open and maybe light 2 less coals next time. 335 isn't bad for chicken.....I think it just got too hot initially and couldn't recover fully.

Also, once you are able to get a stable temp with your vent cap set, get some magnets or use a leather glove to partially block the intake if you get a temp spike and need it to come down. Doesn't happen often but it'll drop quick when you choke it down some.

How'd the chicken turn out?

Back