MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
wahoowad
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : PookieBoo
Default Outgrowing my 18.5" WSM. Does the 22" operate just like it?

I keep having briskets and racks of ribs that are too wide for my 18.5" WSM. Yeah, I know there are tricks to address that but I'd just like to simply lay down my meat flat.

Any adjustments in cooking styles or charcoal loads/management if I upgrade to a 22.5" unit? I know it is the same design but wondering if it runs hotter/cooler or needs more/less air or any other performance differences I would have to adjust to when compared to the 18?
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

No difference whatsoever. Roll on, Brother!
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have a 14, 18 and 22. I use the 22 most,just because of what you just said.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2018, 01:23 AM   #4
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

My 14" to 22.5" cooks are basically the same except for how much meat I put on the grates and a bit more charcoal and wood. To me they cook the same, or so close to each other it is essentially the same.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #5
Smoke Dawg

Name/Nickname : IMF

The 22.5's are made in Australia so you pretty much have to do everything the opposite direction.

Other than that........... No difference.

Enjoy!
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
wahoowad

Name/Nickname : PookieBoo

With all the talk of the Slow and Sear I wonder if I should get a 22" Performer instead of a 22 WSM? The Performer seems a little more versatile and I wouldn't have to deal with stacking/unstacking of the WSM on those occasions when more cold are needed or adding water. I rarely use the lower rack of the WSM, and that seems the only think I would lose switching to a Performer.
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

A 22 will burn more fuel than your 18, but that's to be expected. Word to the wise though - keep the 18. The more options the better.

[URL="http://www.tooashamedtoname.com"]www.TooAshamedToName.com[/URL] - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
aerotech11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ric

Keep the 18" WSM and get the performer. Done.
aerotech11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowad View Post
With all the talk of the Slow and Sear I wonder if I should get a 22" Performer instead of a 22 WSM? The Performer seems a little more versatile and I wouldn't have to deal with stacking/unstacking of the WSM on those occasions when more cold are needed or adding water. I rarely use the lower rack of the WSM, and that seems the only think I would lose switching to a Performer.
While a Slow'n'Sear will work in a Weber Kettle, I'd still personally go for the WSM option myself. It's a known quantity and works well so why tempt fate and change things up?

I could see it if you were getting an offset stick burner or an IVC but, a Kettle with a S'n'S instead of another WSM (says the guy with 3, hopefully soon to be 4 WSMs)?

Old 01-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #10
Hoss

My 22 and 14 get WAYYY more use than the 18.I would not be without any of them.Sometimes that 18 is " just right". Depends on the cook and the crowd.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018, 03:25 AM   #11
One Drop

If it's only for the increased grate size and not the overall capacity of the 22" WSM, I'd go against the grain here and say the best option is the performer. Check and make sure you still have enough real estate on the grate after what you use with the SnS. If you do, save the money and get the kettle, it's easier to set up, uses way less fuel, and you get all the benefits of reverse searing easily. You can add a rotisserie for more versatility, and/or a hover grill or similar to get a bit more grate save for in a pinch.

I have a kettle and a 22" WSM and I use the kettle far more often, it's just easier, and works better in cold weather if that is ever an issue. As for results, the learning curve from one to the other is minimal, just getting use to vent openings and how quickly to react to temp changes when bringing the heat up or down.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:47 AM   #12
One Drop

Double post, sorry!

Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowad View Post
NO. If you can adjust your cooking style so you don't need the water pan you can get get a WAY longer cook and shouldn't need to add any more coals.

I don't ever cook with a water pan, so I made taller charcoal ring so I can double my fuel capacity. A few months ago I did a 15+hr cook and still had coals left. That was 12hrs at 220-240 and the last three at 300+. I use lump, not briquettes.

Besides the water pan taking up space that could hold more charcoal, it wastes energy - you're using heat to boil water instead of cooking your food. Set the vents right and the WSM will chug right along at whatever temp you want, you don't *need* the water pan to even out the temps - it may not hold an exact precise temp, but it'll stay in a small enough range as to not effect the cook. Mine likes to yo-yo back and forth in a ~20*F window, and it'll do it all day.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

Agree with above. I use my water plan filled with sand as a heat sink, and a place to hold a disposable aluminum pan to catch drippings. I havent used an 18", but I would guess they cook pretty similarly.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #15
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drop View Post
If it's only for the increased grate size and not the overall capacity of the 22" WSM, I'd go against the grain here and say the best option is the performer. Check and make sure you still have enough real estate on the grate after what you use with the SnS. If you do, save the money and get the kettle, it's easier to set up, uses way less fuel, and you get all the benefits of reverse searing easily. You can add a rotisserie for more versatility, and/or a hover grill or similar to get a bit more grate save for in a pinch.

I have a kettle and a 22" WSM and I use the kettle far more often, it's just easier, and works better in cold weather if that is ever an issue. As for results, the learning curve from one to the other is minimal, just getting use to vent openings and how quickly to react to temp changes when bringing the heat up or down.
Good points! The Kettles have a lot of versatility but, for smoking it's hard to beat the WSM option. If you grill a lot, maybe the kettle is the better option but I still prefer the WSM. I should note that I have the 26" Kettle and a Smokey Joe too.

I use my 14" WSM the most. I find ~20lbs of ham is about the limit in it but, how much more do I really need at one time? If I'm laying out ribs or chicken, then a 22" WSM still offers plenty of capacity.

If I'm doing hot dogs and burgers, no questions about, it's kettle'time!

Regarding fuel burns, to be honest I don't see that much difference. Does one use more than the other? Sure depending on how it is loaded but, why argue over a half dozen briquettes and a single chunk of wood?

In the end personal preference seems to matter most followed up by cooking style. They are all good options and all of them will work well with a little bit of skill by the individual running the smoker or kettle.