Santa Maria style grill recommendations?

STLBBQer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren! Just got back from a fantastic vacation to Mexico with my wife and was blown away by some of the food we had. They were cooking on Santa Maria style grills for the resort dinners and I knew I had to have one. My wife gave me the okay, so I'm looking now.

Anyone have one they especially like or can point me in the right direction for manufacturers? I want one that is smaller (24x20, etc), but built with quality and will last. I appreciate any recommendations you can give. Thanks!

I've got a 30x20 from these guys that I bought from Costco for $289. Pretty solid and here's the manufacturers website. They have at select Costco warehouses so I say it's worth giving them a call. IIRC they carried some out your way at some point.

https://www.santamariagrills.com/

Here's mine

I also have the 30x20 Santa Maria grill that Sako has and some Costcos carry. Perfect size for backyard grilling IMHO as you got plenty of grilling space for kebabs, multiple meats, or up to 6 tri-tips at once. Three splits over a bed of coals to fire it is all you need (maybe 2 and then you got a slightly cooler spot in the middle. I let the splits burn down for about half hour before I put the meat on). Beware that they are not ideal for cooking bigger stuff like whole roasts or even spatchcocked chickens (last one I tried I had to throw in the oven to finish as after 1.5 hours it was not even close to done but the skin was nearly burnt). It's a great cooker to have in my aresenal as I like the capacity and the open air grilling that is just plain cool and always a crowd pleaser. Just line up a good source for splits when you get one!

Shirley Fabrication in Tuscaloosa,Alabama can build any size you want.They built one for me.I was very impressed with the quality.It is HEAVY DUTY.Should last many,many years.

farker built mine the price was good and the quality is fine,

BUT we kinda had a communication issue with the exact size as I was considering my options and it was probably my fault

anyhow when I received it it did not fit the pit, again it may have been my fault, but their customer service is crap, they did not return my call or emails, I had to rebuild the pit.

I have not gone out of my way to bash the farker but anytime his name comes up I like to share my story

I also have the 30x20 Santa Maria grill that Sako has and some Costcos carry. Perfect size for backyard grilling IMHO as you got plenty of grilling space for kebabs, multiple meats, or up to 6 tri-tips at once. Three splits over a bed of coals to fire it is all you need (maybe 2 and then you got a slightly cooler spot in the middle. I let the splits burn down for about half hour before I put the meat on). Beware that they are not ideal for cooking bigger stuff like whole roasts or even spatchcocked chickens (last one I tried I had to throw in the oven to finish as after 1.5 hours it was not even close to done but the skin was nearly burnt). It's a great cooker to have in my aresenal as I like the capacity and the open air grilling that is just plain cool and always a crowd pleaser. Just line up a good source for splits when you get one!

Good points DD! Def make sure you can source some splits since it's an open face pit, it's a fuel hog and especially if you plan burning charcoal. Sticks are the way to go with an SM grill.

kf9km0Nh.jpg

Good points DD! Def make sure you can source some splits since it's an open face pit, it's a fuel hog and especially if you plan burning charcoal. Sticks are the way to go with an SM grill.

kf9km0Nh.jpg

Great advice. Thanks!

Another vote for AZ BBQ Grills.

I was flipping between the Scottsdale or an Engelbrecht, and went with the Scottsdale. Just more options and easier to add some customizations that I wanted.

Oh, and like everyone said, they are fuel pigs. I had Dave build me a mini burn box that I keep on the side with a steady flow of burning logs. Constant supply of fresh coals without having a big fire going in the cooker.

Last edited:
I've only talked with him on the phone...I know he does alot of grills that's about it.

Arizona I've heard good things about. I do know a builder that does the high end santa marias. He's TOP NOTCH...great guy. http://www.oldpioneermfgco.com/

+1 for Dennis and Old Pioneer Mfg. Shopped around for a while before placing my order with Old Pioneer. Starting my third season with it. Excellent unit.

Ditto on AZBBQ.
I ordered mine, just the fire box and Argentine grates. Then modified it for a rotisserie, chile roaster and Caja China.

67MvK0.jpg

Hey, Does anyone know any companies in Canada making and selling Santa Maria Style grills?

Back