MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #16
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpappa1 View Post
I am also considering do a fatty for the first time, but I can't decide. Sometimes it just looks like a gimmick. Does all that stuff really change the flavor of the meat?

Now that I say that, I'd welcome opinions on that. Also, should I use beef or pork if I do it?
It absolutely changes not only the flavor of the meat but also the low and slow cooking method changes the texture of it, IMO.
Renders the fat, adds the smoke and whatever seasoning or rub you choose to add.
Nekkid fatties are cheap and simple to boot! What have you got to lose??

Old 02-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #17
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClandcruiser View Post
Happy Phriday all! Not sure what the plan phor tonight is, but tomorrow is a big beer party out at my parents house. Doing 26lbs of tablitas on my blackstone and 10lbs of green onions along with it. Will be one out of 5 courses for the beer dinner they are doing.

Hope you all have a phantastic weekend!
Been wanting to try tablitas for a while now. Mind sharing your recipe/technique?
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #18
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxQGuy View Post
Been wanting to try tablitas for a while now. Mind sharing your recipe/technique?
My recipe is to buy them sliced and pre-marinated from the Mexican market by where I work . I do need to figure out how they make them though. The flavor is a bunch of chili powder, garlic, onion and lime.

To cook, I just throw them on a hot grill or griddle and cook until they have a nice sear on both sides. They are so thin that it doesn't take more than 5-8 minutes to cook them through and get them nice and tender.

I just picked up 28lbs of them for tomorrow on my lunch break. I figure at only $5/lb that I'll be hard pressed to make them by myself for any cheaper or easier.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #19
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Jerk wings & Phlank steak tonite, not sure what else this weekend. Might pull some cheap ribs out oPh the Phreezer.

Happy Phriday & weekend to Phu & crew & all y’all Pharkers!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #20
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpappa1 View Post
I am also considering do a fatty for the first time, but I can't decide. Sometimes it just looks like a gimmick. Does all that stuff really change the flavor of the meat?
A sausage chub is a great (and generally inexpensive) way to try out new rubs and such without much investment or trouble. A thinly sliced fatty cooked to about 170F internal can rival some charcuterie. For breakfast ideas, I cook the fatty to 160F, then wrap and store in fridge (once cool). A thick slice (or two) that's griddled until brown really makes the world go 'round with eggs, alone, on a biscuit, in a sammich, or in a burrito.

BREAK BREAK

Had HUGE luck today. Found some great deals on chicken thighs ($1.36 for a 8-pack), CSRs at $0.97/lb, and a skirt steak in the bargain bin for $5. Then, my luck improved as my court martial jury duty scheduled for next week was abruptly cancelled!

Tonight, we're reheating the last of our Kettle Fried Chicken / Nashville Hot Chicken from last weekend.

CINCHOUSE requested ribs... but I might experiment with those CSRs (that I've never cooked before) on Saturday.

Might have to fire up some wings on Sunday.

I see lots of fun and great shenanigans to come among the Brethren this weekend.

Kind regards and thin blue!

Old 02-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #21
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Too windy for cooking outside so tonight's menu is shrimp alfredo. Tomorrow I've got some creekstone beef ribs for the kettle and then on Sunday I'm firing up the big cooker to feed a few families that I owe favors. Some SRF briskets, spare ribs, fatty's, and chicken quarters. Sides will be hog apple beans, cole slaw, potato salad and corn bread.

Have a great weekend Phu and all you Pharkers!!!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #22
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

So phar a rump roast Nellie bought, aphter that it depends on which way the winds blows.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #23
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Cooked up some steak-umms tonight. Maybe burn up a picanha tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #24
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

BIL and SIL coming over and bringing some crappie that he caught so gonna have a fish fry.

Hopefully it's dry enough today so I can mow.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #25
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

This thread inspired me to try tablitas. Didn't buy them from the local Mexican grocer because I heard they got shut down once for thawing bags of chicken on their roof. My marinade will be pineapple juice and fajita seasoning. Not sure how long to marinate though.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #26
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Sadly nothing.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #27
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
Sadly nothing.
Hang in there. Feel better soon.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #28
BrandonBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brandon

Did a couple slabs of beef ribs on the SBA this morning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[B]On the 24' porch trailer:[/B]
Stumps XL Stretch

[B]On the patio:[/B]
BBQ Guru Shotgun - Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha - WSM 22 - Weber Q2200 - Masterbuilt MES 130B
BrandonBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #29
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Those Tablitas were pretty dern good. Pineapple marinade did a good job of tenderizing. Used Pancho and Lefty steak rub and Badia Sazon Tropical after the soak. Think I have a good base for some fajitas now.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #30
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

ShadowDriver put the idea in my head to try some Country Style Ribs. Went shopping this morning and the cheapest I could find were $2.79. . Then I spied a Boston Butt for $1.19! I will cut my own, then slice the remainder for some Al Pastor later this week. What could go wrong???
LloydQ is online now   Reply With Quote