Fun Weber kettle/brisket article

I like how after 2.5 hours in a cooler they still think it needs to “rest” for an hour.

Yeah, that stuck out to me as well. A short unwrapped rest on the counter surely cannot hurt though :)

Brisket with a snake burn on a kettle works.

Apparently it does! Dang, nice cook buddy!! What’s the longest low n slow burn time you’ve seen on your 26 when using the snake? How much sway in temps do you typically see when using the snake? Having an SnS, I have never tried the snake on my 26’er.

e274da3e8a1bb982e796200b1eda1692.jpg

After 6 hrs
8f12daf3c867a8d2a50afc6cf021651d.jpg

32530b5fbc646ab36f3cff6a3a35f4fb.jpg

Here's my most recent one. Longest I can get a snake to burn on my 22" is 10-11 hrs. Temp stayed between 230 and 250 with this one.

e274da3e8a1bb982e796200b1eda1692.jpg

After 6 hrs
8f12daf3c867a8d2a50afc6cf021651d.jpg

32530b5fbc646ab36f3cff6a3a35f4fb.jpg

Here's my most recent one. Longest I can get a snake to burn on my 22" is 10-11 hrs. Temp stayed between 230 and 250 with this one.

Nice! Between 230-250° with vent intervention or was it hands off?

Nice! Between 230-250° with vent intervention or was it hands off?

With this last one it was pretty much hands off. Top vent pretty much wide open. Bottom vent only about 1/5 open. First few times I did one I was way to hands on and made to big of adjustments on the vents which led to temps fluctuating too much. Last several times I've just made small adjustments initially and given them time to take effect. That has led to very stable temps. Was able to leave this one unattended for several hours at a time. Smoked for 6 hrs and then wrapped it for another 4. In cooler for 2. As you can see that was a very small 4 1/2 pounder. Have done a 10 pounder with the same results.

I need to get a 26"

With this last one it was pretty much hands off. Top vent pretty much wide open. Bottom vent only about 1/5 open. First few times I did one I was way to hands on and made to big of adjustments on the vents which led to temps fluctuating too much. Last several times I've just made small adjustments initially and given them time to take effect. That has led to very stable temps. Was able to leave this one unattended for several hours at a time. Smoked for 6 hrs and then wrapped it for another 4. In cooler for 2.

That’s awesome! It’s really amazing how affordable the kettles are and how well they work. Lots of guys, including myself, have spent tons of $$ on insulated and/or ceramic cookers only to later come back to the kettle for its simplicity, versatility and fantastic results :)

Agreed. Really wanted a BGE for a long time. I inherited this kettle and it sat on my patio for a year before I even used it. After the first cook I realized I didn't need a BGE. Does an amazing job. Folks I feed can't believe you can cook like that on a kettle.

question regarding charcoal for the snake method - will you see any noticable difference in heat and burn time if you use a natural briquette vs regular charcoal briquette?

Thank you

I just used regular old Kingsford to this point so I haven't experimented with different types. That's next on my to do list. Only been at it for about 8-9 months.

question regarding charcoal for the snake method - will you see any noticable difference in heat and burn time if you use a natural briquette vs regular charcoal briquette?

Thank you

Each fuel source will most likely vary a bit... but once you have a cook under your belt you should be able to get repeatable results if you do not change any variables :)

Another tip is to build your snake with the briquettes on their end, not laying flat. If you lay flat your burn will be way too quick (4-5 hrs.) Set them up on end like dominos and you can get a good 10+ hour burn.

Another tip is to build your snake with the briquettes on their end, not laying flat. If you lay flat your burn will be way too quick (4-5 hrs.) Set them up on end like dominos and you can get a good 10+ hour burn.

Interesting! First time I have ever heard this. Wonder why? [emoji848]

Love my ceramic, but if I could only have one it would be a kettle.

I have a love/hate relationship with Cooks Country/America's Test Kitchen. They tend to lean toward a New England taste profile - lots of salt, very little heat (pepper) and minimal use of spice and herbs. ATK also overdoes it with garlic, which is kind of a hack move. The recipes are well developed and I appreciate that they try to explain the science behind cooking (because, science) but sometimes the final product is on the bland side.

They also seem to defer to gassers. I'm glad they didn't try to do it with this recipe, although that might explain going through 500 pounds of meat.

Finally, 2 years of recipe development? They could have found this exact same recipe on the brethren with a 5 second search.

Last edited:
Finally, 2 years of recipe development? They could have found this exact same recipe on the brethren with a 5 second search.

That’s funny but true! Curious to hear why you’d choose a kettle over ceramic...

Curious to hear why you’d choose a kettle over ceramic...

I grew up with Weber kettles and cooking on one (especially grilling) is almost second nature to me.

It's not a huge preference and I love the ceramic, especially for low and slows.

Back