Lockhart, Tx

Cooter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have passed through Lockhart for the past two weeks near lunchtime. Both times, because of social distancing, we have taken the orders to go and eat on the road.

I stopped at Black's the first week, the brisket was overcooked, dry, and hard.

The next time we stopped at Smitty's. The brisket was cooked (undercooked) and tough. The fat was not rendered completely, still white-ish.

We have been stopping by Lockhart Q joints for years. This is the first time we have been disappointed at either location.

Has anyone else noticed a drop in quality of late? Could it be that both that both had off days?

Frankly, my brother-in-law makes better brisket and his is... well... disappointing.

Has anybody tried Kruez's or Chisholm Trail lately?

I have passed through Lockhart for the past two weeks near lunchtime. Both times, because of social distancing, we have taken the orders to go and eat on the road.

I stopped at Black's the first week, the brisket was overcooked, dry, and hard.

The next time we stopped at Smitty's. The brisket was cooked (undercooked) and tough. The fat was not rendered completely, still white-ish.

We have been stopping by Lockhart Q joints for years. This is the first time we have been disappointed at either location.

Has anyone else noticed a drop in quality of late? Could it be that both that both had off days?

Frankly, my brother-in-law makes better brisket and his is... well... disappointing.

Has anybody tried Kruez's or Chisholm Trail lately?

Not near Lockhart, but I've noticed a general drop-off in general in the BBQ places I have stopped at. I'm also seeing new faces at them, and not exactly sure the reason. Anytime you get new people, the food changes. I have been leaving very generous tips whenever I've been out, usually just hand over a 50 or 100 and tell them to keep the change. These places have it tough and I want them to survive.

R6lgwAP.jpg

That's too bad. My family's ranch was about 100 miles south of Lockhart, and I was lucky enough to eat at Kreuz Market before the break-up, so I hope you just stopped in on an off day.

Haven't been to Lockhart in several years and hope you just caught them on an off day.

Was at Black's last year after the Texas Fall Bash with Sako. Mediocre at best. The year before was to Kreutz, clod was good, the rest just so so. Neither place lived up to the hype.

One time at Kreuz'. Not really impressed. Chisholm Trail... Stopped in last fall. One stop was enough for us. If you don't use sauce on the brisket, you can resole your shoes with the leftovers. Smitty's was always good, although haven't been in for several years now. Eat their brisket right then, don't wait around, it'll dry out on your plate. Black's was good last summer. At first the cutter gave me some leftover brisket. Got to the booth, said, this sucks. Went back to the counter, told them it was all dried out, the heat cutter picked out an uncut brisket and gave me twice as much fresh brisket. Melted in the mouth

Back