MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
rlp1970
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Thermometer probes going bad

I have had several digital thermometers and are having issues with probes going bad regardless of the brands I have owned. Does anyone suggest a brand with probes that will hold up??
rlp1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
HouseDoc
Full Fledged Farker

When you clean them, hold the wire end up and don't let water near it. Just clean off pointed end with dish liquid and a paper towel. Rinse and hang over an open door.
HouseDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
PullinPork
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseDoc View Post
When you clean them, hold the wire end up and don't let water near it. Just clean off pointed end with dish liquid and a paper towel. Rinse and hang over an open door.
Remember to not close the door

Old 05-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
kevin-ct
Found some matches.

The same issue that I had today. Stuck the prob found it not working. Filed it in the trash
kevin-ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

I bought one of these maybe six years ago because of the same issue - ThermoWorks Chef Alarm. I also bought 4 extra probes just in case. After six years only the orignal probe has given out and that barely happened last year. I have also had my thermopen for the same amount of time. I'm sure they have better technology these days but I've had no reason to upgrade. Pay extra for quality, you won't regret it.

https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlar...SABEgJ-YfD_BwE

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I've had pretty good luck with the ThermoWorks Dots probes. They seem to be fairly durable- but I don't push my luck.
No water on the braided wire or near the crimp and I coil them back up with a bread bag tie after I clean them. I have been known to let a kettle lid down on one- but gently - and I don't let the wire dangle on to a hot grate.
So far so good.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlp1970 View Post
I have had several digital thermometers and are having issues with probes going bad regardless of the brands I have owned. Does anyone suggest a brand with probes that will hold up??
I have probes from Maverick, off-brand maverick from amazon, original iGrill probes, Weber iGrill probes, thermoworks probes, and FlameBoss probes. I have never had one go bad. I wipe them with clorox wipe and only let the water touch the actual probe, not the wire. Not saying that you are doing anything wrong to your probes, but my philosophy is that none of the probes I have look like they were made to take a beating, so I basically baby them.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote