MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:45 PM   #16
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchy View Post
If it’s a FoodSaver, it could just be the sealer, They’re kinda junk. I fought seals all the time with mine. I have no doubt chambers are the best, but I don’t have the space nor use mine enough to justify one, so I bought a Anova sealer. I have yet to have a single failed seal even the few times I missed hitting the seal button before juices made it that far up the bag. I always seal rough side up on the bags.
I’ve sealed at least a thousand pounds worth of meat since I bought my Foodsaver from Costco something like 10 years ago. The key is to manually intervene in the suction before it pulls so much liquid out of whatever you’re sealing that it dissipates the heat used to seal the bag, resulting in a weak seal. This one is my second Foodsaver model and it’s better at dealing with liquid than the first one. But I almost never get weak seals using it. However, I usually make a point to double seal the end of the bag out of precaution, but not necessity.

Chamber vacuum sealers are superior in that aspect since they don’t really draw a vacuum at one one of a bag, but each has their place. I still use my Foodsaver on things that don’t fit into my chamber vac, like a slab of ribs, or when I just don’t feel like rolling the cart the chamber vac is on out of the room adjacent to the kitchen.

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-23-2022, 09:59 PM   #17
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with SudandSwine, try sealing manually.

Other things to try:
If you have to have liquids in the bag, refrigerate to thicken the proteins / sauces. If the liquid is a broth or stock, put the bag with the liquid into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes, then add your meat and seal.

Move your vac-sealer to the edge of the counter by a drawer. Put the bag in the drawer before inserting the end of the bag into the sealer. Let gravity be your friend, leaving no resistance for the escaping air.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2022, 09:22 AM   #18
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

On my Foodsaver I've learned how to deal with the liquids using this trick. Start the cycle and immediately press and hold the seal button. The sealing process won't (or shouldn't) start until you release it. That way you're totally at the ready when the liquids start approaching the top of the bag.

Of course I tend to gravitate toward my chamber vac but prior to getting one that little trick really helped.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #19
thirdeye

Guys, to eliminate any liquid issues just freeze your 'stuff' long enough for it to set-up. This works for meats, bacon etc. Everything holds it's shape. For delicate things like my cured and smoked fish that I don't want to crush, but don't want to freeze..., I use a grilling plank or a small plastic plate along with timing the 'seal' button.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:13 PM   #20
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

I realize there is some security with using a vacuum sealed bag when cooking in a sous vide bath. But I have been using zip lock bags successfully for years without any leak problems. The trick of weighting down the bags (with a metal utensil) and closing the sinking bags as water pressure drives the air out has worked as long as I've kept the seal above the water with a wood-working clamp affixed to the side of the bath container. I've not felt it necessary to get a 'seal-a-meal' system - at least not for sous vide.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:56 PM   #21
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstocks53 View Post
I realize there is some security with using a vacuum sealed bag when cooking in a sous vide bath. But I have been using zip lock bags successfully for years without any leak problems. The trick of weighting down the bags (with a metal utensil) and closing the sinking bags as water pressure drives the air out has worked as long as I've kept the seal above the water with a wood-working clamp affixed to the side of the bath container. I've not felt it necessary to get a 'seal-a-meal' system - at least not for sous vide.
I use a vacuum bag when doing racks of lamb, and I do make bone sleeves for extra protection. Everything else I use Ziploc Freezer bags and have never had an issue. I have the silicone bag weights that work great. I plan on SV'ing a rack of St Louis ribs soon and will probably use a vacuum seal bag on those.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #22
IamMadMan

George,

They also make magnets to secure the bag under water. These do not have to be in the bag, but put the bag between the inner and outer magnet(s).

https://www.amazon.com/pack-Sous-Mag...s%2C422&sr=8-3

Old 01-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #23
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I will sometime put a glass on top of the bag to hold it down
Thanks everyone Much appreciated
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2022, 01:36 PM   #24
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

I went back and read this thread again. Your machine seals the bag OK, but doesn't suck the air out right. Is this correct ?
I went thru 3 of that brand before buying a better brand of sealer. What may be the problem is at some point when vacing a bag with liquid in it, the unit sucked some of the liquid up into the pump. This will cause the problem you are having. Sometimes they quit altogether or most times they just don't draw the vac right anymore. The liquid ruins the seals inside the pump. That company doesn't sell repair seals or pumps to retail customers like the better companies do. You have to send the machine back to them for the repair. Cheaper to buy a new one from them or spend a little more and buy a better brand of machine.
JWWFM-YMMV

Old 01-26-2022, 08:58 PM   #25
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSD View Post
I went back and read this thread again. Your machine seals the bag OK, but doesn't suck the air out right. Is this correct ?
I went thru 3 of that brand before buying a better brand of sealer. What may be the problem is at some point when vacing a bag with liquid in it, the unit sucked some of the liquid up into the pump. This will cause the problem you are having. Sometimes they quit altogether or most times they just don't draw the vac right anymore. The liquid ruins the seals inside the pump. That company doesn't sell repair seals or pumps to retail customers like the better companies do. You have to send the machine back to them for the repair. Cheaper to buy a new one from them or spend a little more and buy a better brand of machine.
JWWFM-YMMV
What did you wind up buying?

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #26
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzadski View Post
What did you wind up buying?

VacMaster Pro

Old 01-27-2022, 09:25 PM   #27
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
Thanks everyone Much appreciated

George,

You peaked my interest in Sous Vide.

I wanted to buy the Anova 1000 Watt model ($169) with WiFi, but wasn't sure if this is something I might continue using. So I cheaped out and bought the InkBird 1000 Watt Model ($72) with WiFi. I can always give this away if I think i need to upgrade in the future.

It arrived today and will go shopping at the commissary to try it out tomorrow / weekend. WiFi was a little difficult to set up because I use a MAC Address rejection filter in inside my firewall. The unit doesn't list the MAC on the box or on the unit; I had to create a "hotspot" on my phone to capture the address, then program it into the WAP.

Overall wasn't difficult, I gave it a quick test run just to test remote capability. The real test comes with cooking. Hopefully I'll have thanks to give you for peaking my interests..... Any suggestions for the first few runs?

Old 01-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #28
Big George's BBQ

My favorites have been pork chops and steak and then searing them in a cast iron pan Eggs are good Comes out perfect but takes about 45 min The chicken I did last for soup came out excellent- tender and moist and easy to shred- did the breast at 140*
KCBS

Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #29
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
My favorites have been pork chops and steak and then searing them in a cast iron pan Eggs are good Comes out perfect but takes about 45 min The chicken I did last for soup came out excellent- tender and moist and easy to shred- did the breast at 140*

Thanks George, time isn't a factor for me these days.

Any recommendations for books that you may have purchased and liked for Sous Vide? or any sites that might be useful to someone who has had no exposure to the process. I learn quickly, and look forward to experimenting.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:26 AM   #30
Big George's BBQ

Anova has an app that has some recipes The rest I got from this site
I did the pork chops @ 145* and the steak at 135*
KCBS