I've done two 9lb butts on the grate. Pretty much filled the whole rack. Took 8 hours and ran at 275-300 the whole time.

I'd be surprised if a spatchcock bird impacted airflow. Are you running a therm? Just to see where you are temp wise?

I'm on a jr, FYI. No therm. Just let er rip and used a hand test. it ran pretty cool to start but was up to 250-275 by the middle and was 275-300 the last hour of the cook.

I've done two 9lb butts on the grate. Pretty much filled the whole rack. Took 8 hours and ran at 275-300 the whole time.

I'd be surprised if a spatchcock bird impacted airflow. Are you running a therm? Just to see where you are temp wise?

He's cooking on the Jr. though. Same here, I've also cooked 3 butts on the PBC grate just fine. I'm think at one section of the grate there was obstruction.

This was my set up making sure the mass didn't impede flow.

gbM0ML7h.jpg

He's cooking on the Jr. though. Same here, I've also cooked 3 butts on the PBC grate just fine. I'm think at one section of the grate there was obstruction.

This was my set up making sure the mass didn't impede flow.

gbM0ML7h.jpg

Seems like the bottom line is--hook.

I think it's worth running a therm, at least in the beginning, until you know how the PB(x) runs. It took me a few cooks to get a solid process I was comfortable with.

Seems like the bottom line is--hook.

Hooks are best but if you position it right on the grates it'll work fine. Even in my vertical offset I leave space in between the meats, even a little bit just to make sure and not restrict flow. I never have to rotate of flip.

For reference on spacing.

IJJqzEzl.jpg

Yeah--airflow is important. It was just one bird though. Lol. I guess spatchcocked it took up a lot of the space but by no means all.

Yeah--airflow is important. It was just one bird though. Lol. I guess spatchcocked it took up a lot of the space but by no means all.

I hear you. I could be totally off and you may find or fix the flaw next time around. Just the first thing comes to mind with the Jr having a smaller surface. I'm going to have to try spatchcocked on mine now. :-D

I hear you. I could be totally off and you may find or fix the flaw next time around. Just the first thing comes to mind with the Jr having a smaller surface. I'm going to have to try spatchcocked on mine now. :-D

It makes for a pretty bird!

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 134
Let's make this fun. I'm cooking up a bunch of wings today and I'll load them up full on the Jr grate.

Will report so stay tuned

Coat, it's also worth mentioning that I've cooked in the PBC with only half the basket lit. I used fire brick to block off the other side. Even with only half basket lit I was able to maintain even cooking temps in the meat. Not sure what happened on your cook but hopefully it was just a fluke. Having said that I'd hang the chicken next time. Its actually easier that way too.

Coat, it's also worth mentioning that I've cooked in the PBC with only half the basket lit. I used fire brick to block off the other side. Even with only half basket lit I was able to maintain even cooking temps in the meat. Not sure what happened on your cook but hopefully it was just a fluke. Having said that I'd hang the chicken next time. Its actually easier that way too.

I'm assuming one of the variables was off. Seems like no one else has had a similar problem so operator error is about the only explanation. Managed to end up with a good supper at least!

I hang whenever I don't NEED to use the grate. Salmon, poppers, meatballs and the like I always grate.

Ribs, briskets and bone in chicken I always hang.

By the way, do you have the split hanging grate?

I'm assuming one of the variables was off. Seems like no one else has had a similar problem so operator error is about the only explanation. Managed to end up with a good supper at least!

Maybe you had a lopsided chicken with one breast bigger than the other.....:becky:

Yeah it's hard to mess up food in the PBC. Even the "mistakes" taste great!

Maybe you had a lopsided chicken with one breast bigger than the other.....:becky:

Yeah it's hard to mess up food in the PBC. Even the "mistakes" taste great!

I absolutely did. Look at the pic. Never seen anything like it. But the bottom browned unevenly, so that isn't really due to the chicken being the guardian from lady in the water.

Back