Gravity feed, Verticle cabinet smokers and automatice temperature controllers

bschoen

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
GF, VCS and ATCs:

Do GFs and VCSs (insulated or not) require the use of an ATC?

I ask because I may pull the trigger on a new smoker at some point nearer rather than far. Both styles (GF - VCS) have their attractions for me, but I do not want a corded pit.

TIA!

No they do not. If it’s just power you’re worried about, the FireBoard controller is rechargeable and the fan runs directly from the unit with no power cord needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to use an ATC.

The BBQ Guru Shotgun might be the exception though.

No, but I had a lot more trouble controlling mine without my controller set up. It took a while to obtain the adapter I needed after getting my smoker. I used the temp sensor without the fan. Found myself having to adjust it a bit more than I'd liked (mainly b/c it was pretty far away). The temp controller helped make it a near zero-effort situation beyond set up & cleaning

In my experience, it makes temperature control much easier. I’m using a DynaQ on my Assassin GF 17.

Last edited:
No. But I use a cheap battery operated controller when I want to get up to temp faster.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can easily hold my gf28 at temperature without the controller. I do like the peace of mind that the controller brings though.

Back