Is this safe?

L

Lakeside Smoker

:-D

On our way to Peters Pond on The Cape!
If anyone finds my smoker on the side of I-93, can you pick it up for me? :-D
Picture002-4.jpg

I don't know if it is safe.....but I like it!

I was thinking of doing the same thing (kind of) when we go to a comp, it takes 2 tow vehicles, 1 for the Stumps Clone, and 1 for the BBQ trailer.

Looks pretty sturdy. Just make sure to pull off after about a 1/2 hour on the road to see if anything loosened up.

Good Luck!

I think you need more orange so deer hunters don't shoot your direction. But I don't think another vehicle will follow for 500 feet or more.

I'll assume a bar goes into the hitch to hold the bottom up and the two straps just help keep it level along with the front cover peices that go over the bumper.

I don't see the smokers falling off anytime soon if the rack is attached properly.

Looks pretty sturdy. Just make sure to pull off after about a 1/2 hour on the road to see if anything loosened up.

Good Luck!

Ditto from me as well. Check them right after a little time on the road, and a good inspection everytime you stop for fuel or whatever.

LOL --- I see that picture and think that drivers behind you are gonna be saying "Holy chit, those people really are serious about their camping" :mrgreen:

Hope you have great success at the comp. Have fun.

I'm with the others just check it after a bit once everything has had a chance to bounce around to see if anything is loose then at every fuel stop.

It looks good, but if I can add one thing. i would secure all that to the bumper in some way. If that comes off you're out a smoker, but more importatntly is not to injure anyone behind you. The ladders and roof rack are not integral to the chassis. So attach to the bumper and secure it for sure. Scott

I thought what we saw tied to the ladder is just extra strap to keep it from flappin in da wind, but a closer look does show that the strap holding the top of the vertical cabinet is tied to the ladder. If he has an eyebolt on the other side of the cabinet at the floor, the strap going side to side should hold it down tight so the strap on the ladder doesn't need to do much. But I think that strap may go over the horizonal and down.

As far as the roof rack ... 110% agreement. I gotta think the rack has a center metal support under it, I think that's one of the hitch hauler sytems that go into a trailer hitch mount with a sheet of plywood on top to make it a little larger.

But aside from the straps, I wish I was riding to a contest right now in that.

This from a voice of experience learned the hard way.

Yes indeed! Greg saw first hand what a 750 lbs cooker can do to the inside of a trailer when it breaks loose. As bad as it looked, we fixed everything, We replaced the sink, fixed the door and the walls and we are now as good as new. You can't tell anything happened but the event sure taught us a lesson.

That looks likes a great setup, Lakeside! And I'm glad to know the battlewagon is up and running, Guy. Looks like 50* nights and thunderstorms next weekend so I may be sleep with ya'll in New Hampshire!:twisted:

Yeah..It was safe. :-D
We just got back from The Cape and all went great with the cargo hitch. I read the thread and I saw some questions about the set up. The tie downs from the roof rack was to take the bounce out of it, thats all. I made sure it was sturdy. heres a pic of how it was attatched to the bumber.
Picture055.jpg

Are those RV bumper strong enough for hauling your smoker?

I think I would have something built that extends from the frame. just my thoughts. Good luck with that. hope your insurance cover's when it hits the road. but I would do the frame thing. yep.

Are those RV bumper strong enough for hauling your smoker?

I think I would have something built that extends from the frame. just my thoughts. Good luck with that. hope your insurance cover's when it hits the road. but I would do the frame thing. yep.

The bumper was just for extra strength. The motor home has a trailer hitch, and that is what the platform was connected to.

Mike

Back