UDS - Food grade liner really bad?

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I picked up 55 gallon drum and the guy insisted I take a food grade drum when I told him I was converting it to a smoker.

I don't know why I left with the drum b/c I knew he was wrong. Do you think it is really any issue? I mean, if you cannot burn it out with a roaring fire, can 250 deg really be a problem?

I think what scares most people me includes (which is why i payed a little to have it sandblasted) is that some might come/burn off a little at a time. Just better safe then sorry.

If i where you i would take it back and get the one you want if he had both.

And so it begins....:pop2::pop2::pop2:

Personally I will not cook in a UDS that has a liner. That is my choice as I do not feel it is worth the risk. Others I am sure will chime in with their opinions as well. The general consensus seems to be to remove the liner completely. I know some will argue as you have that if a fire doesn't remove it (which it does to a point, just not all) then once its seasoned and cooking a low temp, it will be fine. Its your choice.

Spend the time removing the liner you will appreciate the cooker that much more

Farkin darnit! I agree with you guys. I knew I shouldn't have left w/o a plain old reconditioned drum. I let the guy talk me into this thing. I will try to convince them to let me switch it out.

Unfortunately they are a large company and don't want to deal with a little guy like me buying a single barrel. Well whatever, was only $20 and I could always burn leaves in it if they won't exchange it. lol

I'lll tell you what, when you do burn out that liner it gives off the most toxic smelling stuff. You really need a respirator just to burn it out it's so bad. That alone convinced me it was bad stuff....

I don't buy the "you gotta suffer to sing the blues" argument. Get an unlined one or have it sand blasted.

I'd probably keep it and get it sandblasted, as suggested. Then you don't have to worry about burning out a bunch of petroleum based stuff either. You'll know it's clean and all you have to do is season it a little bit.

I understand the logic of having it sandblasted out but why would I spend $ to sandblast something where the concept of a UDS is inexpensive.

I know what you saying, hate to spend $ on a $15 barrel (in my case). However, unlined barrels are hard to find and I didn't want to fuss with burning out the thin almost clear liner. That stuff was mighty durable it seems. I ended up getting it sandblasted and have plans to make a "nice" UDS in the near future.

only cost me $20 to get mine blasted out so its not a ton of money and they didnt have any non lined ones. But if you can get a totally cleaned out non lined one i would go for it.

Back