MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 06-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #61
Maylar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Good point, but does anyone even use gas grills here anymore?

I use gas exclusively.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #62
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Or, how about a sponsor TD. Since the TD sponsors have been so kind to give us free products. Let's have some TDs featuring their products and showcase them. Show us your favorite dish featuring Oakridge, or Naturiffic, or BPS products, etc. etc. At the same time, our sponsors can get some kick a$$ pics to post on their social media sites. Our way of saying thanks to the sponsors!

So I’d be in on something it like this….
In fact I’d be willing to double sponsor it.

What does that mean??

If the TD is a Naturiffic TD, I’d be willing to toss in a pack of seasoning to the contestant to use in their TD…..in advance.

If they win, they get their choice of seasoning from our site (as usual)
Old 06-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #63
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Good idea to showcase the sponsored products won or a specific TD. Actually I have always been doing that to appreciate the gesture from the sponsor plus promote the products by bringing awareness to brethren an non brethren that lurk this site. You'd be surprised how much exposure this sight brings to non-bbq people or noobs trying to get their feet wet in bbq when they google search. I've been asked at parties by people if I'm the same "Sako" from the PBC Mega threads and thanked for all the info, pics and techniques I showcased which ultimately made them buy a PBC. And God knows how many LSG vetical offsets I involuntarily sold.

So definitely a great idea for other to do the same.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #64
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Or, how about a sponsor TD. Since the TD sponsors have been so kind to give us free products. Let's have some TDs featuring their products and showcase them. Show us your favorite dish featuring Oakridge, or Naturiffic, or BPS products, etc. etc. At the same time, our sponsors can get some kick a$$ pics to post on their social media sites. Our way of saying thanks to the sponsors!
I love this idea. The TD Sponsors do so much to help keep up the interest in entering. Seems like the least we could do would be to help showcase their products in our cooks.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:22 PM   #65
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I got another one for a possible future TD. Zero to Hero. Ever gotten a zero in a TD? Cook the same dish, whatever it was and see if you'll do better.
I also love this idea. If you've ever read though the "Did you ever received a Zero in a Throwdown?" thread there are so many fantastic cooks in there. If I never ate anything but the dishes in that thread I would be extremely satisfied.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #66
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
So I’d be in on something it like this….
In fact I’d be willing to double sponsor it.

What does that mean??

If the TD is a Naturiffic TD, I’d be willing to toss in a pack of seasoning to the contestant to use in their TD…..in advance.

If they win, they get their choice of seasoning from our site (as usual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Good idea to showcase the sponsored products won or a specific TD. Actually I have always been doing that to appreciate the gesture from the sponsor plus promote the products by bringing awareness to brethren an non brethren that lurk this site. You'd be surprised how much exposure this sight brings to non-bbq people or noobs trying to get their feet wet in bbq when they google search. I've been asked at parties by people if I'm the same "Sako" from the PBC Mega threads and thanked for all the info, pics and techniques I showcased which ultimately made them buy a PBC. And God knows how many LSG vetical offsets I involuntarily sold.

So definitely a great idea for other to do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
I love this idea. The TD Sponsors do so much to help keep up the interest in entering. Seems like the least we could do would be to help showcase their products in our cooks.

We've done a couple of sponsor themed type Throwdowns before, but not in a while. This was the first one, I believe:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=217726

This is definitely a category well worth a month-long Special, and should be repeated once per year!

Last edited by Moose; 06-17-2021 at 06:28 PM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #67
Fat Jim
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jim

I know to some this is second nature but not me. I see a lot of the throwdown entry's will also have a tag that says cook thread and then simply the word "here". Would someone please explain how to do that in terms a(I won't say 5yr old, nowadays they could launch a bicycle and navigate it to the moon with a flip phone) technical idiot could understand.I

Weber 26, PBC Jr
Fat Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #68
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jim View Post
I know to some this is second nature but not me. I see a lot of the throwdown entry's will also have a tag that says cook thread and then simply the word "here". Would someone please explain how to do that in terms a(I won't say 5yr old, nowadays they could launch a bicycle and navigate it to the moon with a flip phone) technical idiot could understand.I

Took me a while to learn that one when I was new here and seemed like high magic at the time!

Here's what you do:

Highlight the text you want the link to go to, then click on the little icon with the globe and the paperclip(it reads "insert link", when you run your cursor over it) underneath it above the text box. A small window will appear and you can paste the link into the url field. You can always preview the message before you post to test the link just to make sure it goes where you want it to. Or, you can do what most folks do and paste the entire link.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #69
Moose

FYI, we have two Throwdowns ending Monday - let's see some more entries, folks!
Old 07-21-2021, 08:22 AM   #70
Moose

Exclamation Non-Compliant Throwdown Entries

I've been meaning to post about about entries that don't follow the rules, specifically, 1. ones that aren't identified as entries, and, 2. don't specify an entry picture. We're seeing more and more of these, where in the past, they didn't happen very often.

We've made the rules easier to follow by improving the flow, and by bumping the rules periodically, but we're still baffled by this trend. What are your thoughts on the subject? Any ideas on how we might improve the situation other than what we're doing?
Old 07-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #71
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Any ideas on how we might improve the situation other than what we're doing?
Dilly Bar? Maybe a rule change that says you're disqualified?

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #72
Moose

Quote:
Dilly Bar? Maybe a rule change that says you're disqualified?
So far we've been stepping in and reminding folks about the rules where need be. I think disqualifying every entry that isn't compliant is punitive, and I'm not ready to go that route just yet.

We've always tried to create a welcoming space here for folks, but again, I'm mystified why we are getting more and more entries in the past few years that that clearly demonstrate many newcomers are either not reading the rules or if they have, are not understanding them. That is the big question I'm pondering...
Old 07-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #73
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Hey the rules are simple enough that even I can follow them...
I dunno what else to say.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #74
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Hey the rules are simple enough that even I can follow them...
I dunno what else to say.

I agree - we've made the rules simple to follow. They are text linked in each Qtalk Throwdown Promo, and also in each Throwdown entry thread. And yet, we're getting more folks who just aren't following them or reading through them.

One thing that just occurred to me was that when we first started the Qtalk Throwdown Promos, we were getting quite a few entries in the actual promo threads in Qtalk, even though I posted a text link to the entry thread at the bottom of the promo.

When I added this:

***NOTE: This thread is an announcement. Please post your entries HERE NOT in this Qtalk thread!***

Please post your entries HERE NOT in this Qtalk thread!

We stopped getting entries in the Qtalk promos.

Last edited by Moose; 07-22-2021 at 10:41 AM..
Old 07-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #75
LYU370

Maybe I'll change the next promo to include something like, please ensure you identify your post as an official entry and which pic you'd like to use for your entry.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote