Humprey's or Ironside

OldGlory

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to decide on a Humprey's Qubed Pint or Ironside Slugger. Both appear to be the same size. I like Ironside's ability to burn sticks. Humphrey's is only an hour from my house. Shipping for the Ironside would run around $600.

Any reason to choose one over the other quality wise, of the box itself or the food produced?

Thanks!

I'll go with Ironside. You can't make the Humphries burn sticks once you buy it. Even if you throw $600 worth of fabrication work on it.

I received my new pint today. It’s built very well and Nicole answered any questions or concerns I had.

I was looking at Ironsides 6 months or so ago. Not much out in the real world about how they perform just burning wood, and then their prices went up. I'm still looking at options....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a stick burner if you want to burn sticks. In my opinion burning sticks in an insulated cabinet defeats the purpose of the design. My insulated cabinet will burn sticks all day long but I never have as I bought it to be a set it and forget it style of cooker. With Humphrey's being only an hour away it would be a no Brainerd for me.

Doing the math with all the upgrades required on Humprey's to make an apples to apples comparison the cost is pretty close.

Speaking for myself I would go with a Humphrey's. I have a stick burner but I rarely use it. I don't want to buy cords of wood or store them. I like lump charcoal and chunk wood as they work fine and fit nicely on a shelf in my garage. Just my two cents.

I have two humphrey's and could not be happier. I echo the above comments that burning sticks would be better saved for a stick burner. You can get great results with charcoal and a few chunks of wood (not to mention not having to mess with adding any wood) on the Humprhey's. Chad and nicole are such nice people that I wish I could have picked mine up in person but it was a little further than an hour :)!

Ironside...
Unless you need it to be portable. The multi fuel option is nice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like to burn pure wood in my modified Humphrey's. When I want or just use coal/wood. My choice. I also have an offset for burning pure wood.
Iron side was not a company at the time of my purchase. Or I would have gone that route.
Ironside has wide grates, shallow depth. Easier to baste, rotate meats. load meats etc.
Humphrey's has deep grates that are narrow.
I can not say about build quality on Ironside. But my Humphrey's was a disappointment in build quality. But I was a fabricator most of my life. I modified mine by quite a bit.
I did not like the uneven cooking temps either. Top/bottom/front/rear. No matter what you adjusted.
But lots of folks love em.

Humphrey's has deep grates that are narrow.

This isn't the case with the qubed pint. As the OP mentioned the two they're trying to decide between are about the same size.

I have two humphrey's and could not be happier. I echo the above comments that burning sticks would be better saved for a stick burner. You can get great results with charcoal and a few chunks of wood (not to mention not having to mess with adding any wood) on the Humprhey's. Chad and nicole are such nice people that I wish I could have picked mine up in person but it was a little further than an hour :)!

My thoughts exactly.... Don't see the need to burn sticks in a cabinet and Humphrey's makes amazing smokers.

I have no personal experienced with either but had recently done the same comparison -- shipping costs aside, I'd go with Ironsides. I like the design and options. Have never heard anything bad about Humphries but I like the other better.

That said, given the relatively low incremental cost to go to the CDR....

These two are almost the same size. However the Quebd Pint is 400 lbs and the Ironside is 700 lbs. Am I wrong to think heavier weight means better build?

IS fully welded thicker steel. Humphrey’s thinner metal welded inside, thin skin riveted on outside.

These two are almost the same size. However the Quebd Pint is 400 lbs and the Ironside is 700 lbs. Am I wrong to think heavier weight means better build?
You are not wrong. Humphreys is between backwoods and ironside in weight. If you ever need to disassemble, the rivets come in handy. Only advantage i can think of for rivets. I went with a heavier, welded cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I went from an offset to a Humphreys Battle Box. I will NEVER go back to splits. I have three kids so I don’t have time to babysit a fire when it gets temperamental. Plus, my food has never tasted better, and that’s what it’s all about.

Only the outer skin is riveted. The the two inner layers are welded onto a tube frame.

I can run a constant temp for 12 hours without a pid and without adding fuel. I’ve run through snow storms. The insulation is rediculous.

Plus you have Chad and Nicole right down the road if you have a problem? I think it’s a no brainer.

I think that's fair and part of why I leaned towards Ironside when I was considering buying one recently (I got over it.... I think)

That said, there have to be diminishing returns though past a certain point. Also, the weight becomes a liability if you have to move it.

Still, ignoring shipping costs, for me I'd lean towards the ironside

Back