Pork Tenderloin Shootout (with Q-Salt)

Mike in Roseville

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
First off...I didn't get pics. Just grabbed a small piece off the end of each tenderloin to sample, and then headed out. Yeah I know, I know. :twitch:

Rubs, to me, are like paint colors. You can mix them or just try them as-is and see what works best for the particular "canvas." I wanted to see how Q-Salt fared against some of my BBQ staples.

Not much of a complex setup: Vintage Weber Texan, one chimney of Western lump, banked to one side (all vents open). Four pork tenderloins cooked indirect for around 45 minutes. Each was rubbed with a different mix...about a medium coat.

1) Killer Hogs BBQ + AP
2) Oakridge Secret Weapon
3) Oakridge Santa Maria
4) Naturffic Q Salt

This was my first time using Q Salt. Impressions? Incredibly balanced. I mean its a salt blend right? But it tastes "finely tuned." The salt and pepper play really well together. I personally would like a little more garlic, but there are other ways to get that. My initial impressions with Q-Salt is I want to try it on a NY Steak and some grilled corn. Really impressed with this showing.

They were all really, REALLY close. How did I place them? 1, 4-3, 2.

YMMV (and my wife would have probably chosen Q-Salt #1 for sure)

-To me, the KH BBQ + AP really balanced out nicely. Nice color...Hint of sweet, savory, salty balance. I don't usually use KH BBQ on leaner things, but it worked incredibly well here. Checked the boxes as they say.

-Q-Salt and Oakridge SM tied...I wish Q-salt had a touch more garlic and Oakridge had more Salt/black pepper. Next time, I'll simply layer them and get it where I want (I probably should have done that anyway since I layered the KH). Come to think of it...I think I may do some spares with that combo in the near future...it sounds bangin!

-Secret Weapon, as you may not know, is one of my all-time favorites. Perfectly balanced, but today it didn't seem to have the "presence" of the other rubs. Maybe it needed a little more or another coat? I dunno.

Just wanted to shout out to John for a great product! Q-Salt is some really good stuff!

Love cooking experiments! Q Salt is a great product. It is my goto beef rub. Also works great as a all around seasoning. Clam chowder, potatoes, corn, mac n cheese, and anything that will accept salt and pepper will benefit from Q Salt!

Love cooking experiments! Q Salt is a great product. It is my goto beef rub. Also works great as a all around seasoning. Clam chowder, potatoes, corn, mac n cheese, and anything that will accept salt and pepper will benefit from Q Salt!

To me it really screams "beef"...but I can definitely see the versatility with a lot of different foods!

Back